Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Top Ten Best Day

Today was an unexpected delight. I was driving to my appointment this morning, listening to Mike & Mike in the morning on ESPN Radio. I had forgotten that The ESPN Radio crew was going to be in Dallas for live all-day broadcasts, to celebrate the 103.3's birthday. Well, my appointment had nothing available for me to review, so I left. I went to my second appointment early and the agent just wanted me to take the documents and leave, since they had limited space for me to work.

I headed home and quickly changed my clothes. I was off to Cape Buffalo Grill, about a 5 minute drive from my place. I made it in time to get settled and order a beer before Mr. Dan Patrick took the stage and airwaves.

It was an incredible event. I didn't plan on having anything to drink today, or doing anything other than work. Shit happens when it is 100 degrees outside. Here are my highlights of the three-hour show.

Dan Patrick was mentioning that The Playmaker was going to be on in a half hour. He started talking about the Adam Sandler movie: The Longest Yard. Adam approached DP about a part in the movie. Naturally, Sandler wanted DP to play a sportscaster. DP declined. He said he would be anything but a sportscaster in the flick. DP ended up being a cop who arrested Sandler in the movie. During the filming of the scene, Sandler began ad-libbing. Dan didn't know what to do, as he was prepared to stick to the script. Sandler laced into DP screaming, "This is eff-ing acting Dan". There was also a comment made about Michael Irvin playing a convict, also a natural role.

Michael Irvin showed up and was on with Sean Salisbury and DP. From the minute Irvin was within range of a microphone, his mouth never closed. I am not sure he took a normal breath during the segment. He is very excitable. MI opened by telling Dan Patrick that he makes MI blacker (it was a street cred / Seinfeld black-white cookie thing). After that, Irvin and Salsbury almost immediately got into it. They were at each others throats. Topics of fighting were Matt Leinart v. Vince Young, The New York sports media, and experience v. analysis. It was entertaining to say the least. Irvin was preaching to Salisbury. He kept yelling out, "I am tired of teaching you". Irvin took a shot at Salisbury about his NFL career and how success has followed Irvin, winning championships at different levels. Salisbury replied with a shot at Irvin's broadcast abilities. It was like a you're a Hall of Fame player, I'm a Hall of Fame broadcaster. Irvin went off the deep end screaming, "You see my new ESPN contract? It's Huge! You want to measure up contracts?". He also kept hitting DP in his various levels of spastictiveness. DP scolded him for the hitting and the yelling. The Playmaker ended his segment and catfight with Salisbury with this gem, "Don't you know I have been to court often enough for you to beat me in an argument?". It was golden.

That was the jist of the excitement.

It was so great because it was spontaneous, included early beers, and provided the opportunity to meet Dan Patrick, Sean Salisbury, Mark Cuban, and see my buddy MIrvin.

Alas, I am home, with work to do and a small beer buzz. Maybe naptime on the couch is in order.

No comments: