Tuesday, April 04, 2006

NFL Draft - Detroit Questions

The NFL Draft is quickly approaching. I was looking at the lastest projections. Detroit is mock-drafted by Sports Illustrated as taking Jimmie Williams from Virginia Tech. Although Williams is a quality cornerback, and Detroit needs a quality cornerback, I am not sold on the pick.

As currently projected, there are some great players hypothetically available when it becomes the Lions' turn to make their selection. Namely, Vince Young. I know, I know all of the Lions fans are still upset over the ousting of Joey Harrington. I know, I know, this also defies logic, as the Lions' off season focused on the quarterback position.

I don't agree with the free agent signings of Josh McCown and Shaun King. But, it happened. I think if there is an opportunity to snatch a quarterback with the soul of Vince Young, they should. You can always make it fit. Start developing him now, and a few years down the road, we may actually have a solid quarterback who we, as fans, can get excited about and have confidence in.

Furthermore, one rookie cornerback is not going to make or break the defense. With the other offensive weapons in place, one stellar rookie quarterback can make or break the W column.

Feel free to crucify me for my points of view.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Drafting Vince Young would certainly create a buzz around the Detroit Lions, but just as there are questions about Jimmy Williams' motor and focus, there are questions about Young's intelligence, throwing motion, and accuracy.

I seriously doubt that Young will be available at #9, but even so, he's not what Detroit needs. He's not the type of quarterback to fit Mike Martz's system. Martz likes intelligent quarterbacks who can get the ball off quickly and put it on the money. It takes young quarterbacks a while to assimilate Martz's playcalling, and he also uses minimum protection schemes, which would hang Young out to dry too often, especially with Detroit's porous offensive line.

Which brings me to my next point: if Winston Justice happens to be available at #9, the Lions should take him to play right tackle and relegate Kelly Butler to backup duty. Michael Huff might also be an option at this pick.

The Lions need offensive linemen, linebackers, and defensive backs. They can get a solid linebacker at the top of the 2nd round. They do also need to get a cornerback from somewhere, but with the current defensive backfield's lapses in concentration (Dre Bly, Terrence Holt, Fernando Bryant, I'm talking to you), they don't need another guy back there who takes plays off. That's why I like Huff more than Williams.

JC said...

I think it would be crazy if he was still available at 9, but who knows? I was just looking at the most current draft projections that I could find.

I agree totally that Young is not necessarily what Detroit needs. He is very talented though. He plays with a ton of heart and he is emotionally involved. That is difficult to fathom after watching Joey for the past few years.

I think Vince Young is a little more intelligent and accurate than you are giving him credit for. He will develop well and quickly. He will be a great pro. I think he will be the next Brett Favre. It is too bad that it couldn't be for the Lions.

Anonymous said...

I think they should draft me. I won't demand that much money, and it's hard to be a disappointment when it is already well documented that I suck.

Anonymous said...

Well, the teams that pick before the Lions have bigger needs elsewhere, for the most part. The Saints need a tackle, but D'Brickashaw Ferguson will almost surely be the first tackle off the board. Buffalo needs a tackle, so maybe Justice will go there. I do see some scenarios where Justice would be available. Yes, he's a talented guy, but has had some character issues in the past, so it's possible for him to slip.

As for Vince Young, it's not so much that I'M not giving him credit. It's that scouts (real live people who devote their lives to football) have questions about his intelligence and accuracy.

Anonymous said...

I just looked at two mock drafts: one was from Mel Kiper, Jr. and the other was by Todd McShay, both from ESPN.com. Both have the Lions picking Michael Huff with the 9th pick. They have Brodrick Bunkley (DT from FSU) going 8th to the Bills. They also have Winston Justice going 13th and 14th, respectively.