Thursday, April 06, 2006

Harry Taylor speaks out

Mr. Harry Taylor confronted the President today at a speech in Charlotte, NC.

Mr. Taylor began, "You never stop talking about freedom, which I appreciate, but while I'm listening to you talk about freedom I see you assert your right to tap my telephone, to arrest me and hold me without charges,"

Harry was booed by the crowd. Bush quieted the crowd and allowed Taylor to finish.

Taylor continued, "I feel like despite your rhetoric, that compassion and common sense have been left far behind during your administration, and I would hope from time to time that you have the humility and grace to be ashamed of yourself."

That is a strong statement that may not be far from the truth. Outside and nearby, there were a small group of protesters who had signs noted by the media, calling Bush a "liar", instructing to "do your job!" and a lone Simpsons fan with one declaring, "Worst president ever!"

Bush shrugged off the comments and defended all of his wayward decisions. The one that struck me as most ironic was regarding the war in Iraq. Bush commented on Saddam Hussein's failure to comply with the United Nations' requests. He said, "When America speaks, we ought to mean what we said. I meant what we said when we embraced that resolution that said 'Disclose. Disarm. Or face serious consequences.' Words mean something in this world if you're trying to protect the American people."

Yup GW, how were those WMDs that went undisclosed? Hmm.... never existed, so there was nothing to disclose.

This mentality scares me. We have to act on every word that George Bush utters. The power of the free world rests on this man's tongue. So, basically to defend the American people, you have to talk a big game and make a lot of threats. To make this talk and these threats credible, we have to back them up by war. America needs to prove that it is an international bully in order to cover up for our weaknesses. That can't fare well for troops who will be deployed in Iran in the next 9 months.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say "never existed"... but what do i know.

JC said...

I shouldn't have either. I was just trying to be dramatic.