Thursday, April 13, 2006

M & M's - Music and Medicine

All I know now is OB/GYN.

I have no idea about Iran’s nuclear proliferation or Bush’s approval ratings. I heard the Pistons won last night and that the Tigers have returned to their normal form after getting the sweep by the White Sox.

I have nothing else to write about, but being on call. I’m post call now after a call shift of 36 hours. I had an interesting day and a half, but if you want to hear about the death threats that’ll have to come at another time.

Before I got my hour of sleep early this AM I was thinking about Chris’ assessment of good band names from my last posts. Chris has always been creative when coming up with band names (so has EKG, i.e. The Ringer Tee Forces, Minus Grover) and he wrote in the comments of my previous three posts he liked the names Post Call, Sterile Field and Biscuit in My Hand as good band names.

So I tried to think of some other cool medical terms that could be used as band names. Here are some of my thoughts at 5.00 in the morning.

1. Trich (pronounced: Trick) – this is the slang term for trichomonas. Trichomonas is a flagellated parasite and a sexually transmitted infection (STI). Trich is a common cause of vaginitis in the pregnancy population and if one partner has this STI the other needs to be treated.
This band name would suit an indie band that played with fuzzy distortion and sampled with drum loops; a Strokesque sound or similar to what I have heard of the Killers.

2. Pseudophakic – this is the term to describe someone who has an artificial lens in his/her eye, usually status post cataract surgery. These people loose the ability to accommodate and thus need to wear reading glasses.
Pseudophakic could range anywhere from heavy metal to garage rock to just plain ole rock ‘n’ roll. I could see a band with this name sounding like the Greenhornes…and that’s not too bad.

3. Android Pelvis – this is an OB/GYN term used to describe the shape of one’s pelvic outlet. This type of bony structure is more common in men and if a woman has this particular pelvic structure she cannot give birth vaginally or the infant will die.
This band would probably be a “trip-hop” style band, maybe along the lines of Jack Drag or even the Dandy Warhols; possibly even like Ambulance Ltd. I would enjoy this sound, but may tire of it after awhile.

4. The Happy Puppet Syndrome – this syndrome is also called Angelman’s Syndrome and it is a rare genetic neurological disorder. HPS results from a microdeletion on the maternal chromosome 15 resulting uniparental paternal disomy, in which the infant receives two copies of chromosome 15 from his/her father. The syndrome received its name from the clinical appearance of child who would walk on his/her tiptoes, similar to a marionette and have uncontrollable paroxysms of laughter. Hence, the happy puppet.
This is probably a better album title than a band name, but whatever. I could see this as an album title for an indie band like Pavement or a heavy metal rock band like the Zombies.

5. Ilio-Tibial Band – this is a tight band of fascia on one’s lateral thigh that connects to the tensor fascia lata muscle. This muscle helps with abduction and flexion of one’s hip.
A couple of medical students at MSU-COM actually formed a band and called it the Ilio-Tibial Band. Pretty creative. I would see this as a bluegrass or country-rock band, similar to Wilco. I’d dig this band if it existed today.

6. 5 – FU (5-fluorouracil) – this is a chemotherapy medication that inhibits thymydilate synthase and thus pyrimidine nucleic acids (two of the four bases comprising DNA).
I have called dibs on this as an album title. If anyone steals it I’ll be sad. This is just a good rock ‘n’ roll album title…first I need a band.

Those are the medical band names I conjured up at 5.00 in the morning. I like the name Foswald as a band name, but it has nothing to do with medicine. It was the email address of a former psychology professor I enjoyed.

What are some of your band names? They could be medically related, related to your work or just good names, like Cosmic Toast.

I’m very, very tired now and this was a lot longer than expected. Tomorrow is Good Friday, and that means it is a Good Friday for drinking. I must celebrate in the festivities.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Finally Andy has found a way to combine his two true loves: Medicine and... you know... down there.

Anonymous said...

cute and true. except trust me, this gives you an entirely different perspective on the female anatomy.

JC said...

I thought of making a similar comment, but I was pretty sure you take your job more seriously than that. I didn't want to be that guy.

By the way, those are two of my loves too. Except, I don't like performing medicine I like taking it.

Anonymous said...

I was the anonymous guy. I wasn't logged in.

I'm cute.

As for a new perspective on the female anatomy... I bet it's a gross one, isn't it?