Saturday, February 17, 2007

What's in a Name?

There can be a lot of things in a name. For example, take my middle name. It is dedication. I stayed at work until 6:30 last night. That may not seem like too much dedication to you, but if you know me, it is.

There are street names. Take Michigan Avenue. There are Michigan Avenues all over Michigan, simply because it is Michigan. There is nothing profound about that. Actually there is nothing profound about any of this. I saw on the news the other day that there have been proposals to change the name of the road that heads west, directly into the capital in Lansing. Apparently, people think it would be better to change the road name from Michigan Avenue to The Avenue of Michigan - Gateway to the Capitol. I don't think that makes any sense. Every business in Lansing located on Michigan Ave. would have to change all of their business cards, menus, brochures, and signs. Way to be commerce friendly proposal. Whatever, it is dumb. If that ended up happening before I am ready to move, I will move strictly because of that.

Finally, there is the name of drinks. Being the weekend, I thought it necessary to throw this one out there. Take my margarita. I called them margaritas, but they were more like large iced glasses of tequila (with a splash of sour and lime juice). It was enough to get me feeling good, and after my daily nerdy after-work interneting I relaxed and got ready to head to the bar by myself. Overall, I won $50 playing Keno. Michigan schools win, and I win.

The NBA rookie v. sophomore challenge was weirdly entertaining to watch. The sophomores, led by Chris Paul, Monta Ellis, and David Lee, crushed the rookies by 41 or so. There was no defense, except when Rudy Gay thought it was necessary to try to show off. He is a goaltender, cheater.

Go State today against Iowa. Can they make a Tournament push? Three weeks from tomorrow we will find out for sure.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keno wasn't so kind to me. i lost $12 last night. but schools win and that's really what matters.

go green! andy and i are ordering tiffany's pizza, and if i remember correctly, last year when msu played iowa at home we ordered tiffany's and we won by a lot.

Anonymous said...

Tiffany's worked again... GO STATE!

Congrats on your win Jon, sorry about your loss Em.