Monday, February 26, 2007

RIP Cellular Telephone, Part II

As you remember, I had troubles recently with my cellular telephone. I spent $250 to get a new one. It was an unpleasant experience, but I went ahead and did it. Afterall, how else can I satisfy my unhealthy texting addiction?

The new cell phone was purchased on the 19th of February. It officially died on the 24th of February.

I bought insurance on this phone, so financially, I could care less. Functionally, I could care a lot more. My thumbs are beginning to go through atrophy. I can feel them getting weaker and weaker every hour that passes. With insurance, you can not just go to a Verizon store, as I attempted to do Sunday. The phone will be shipped to me at work on Tuesday. I don't know if I will make it.

Of course, all of this is pretty much my fault. When Jimmy's Pub is involved by 1 in the afternoon, for a Spartans game that begins at 9, trouble is bound to be around the corner.

I started off slowly, but gradually sped up to a feverish pace. Kade and Miranda met Caleb, Gerard, and I at Jimmy's later in the afternoon. We tried to maintain like we hadn't been drinking all day. I think we were mildly successful.

We wanted to watch the game at BW3. We knew we had to go there early. So we did. Surprisingly we found a nice table with some other friends. It was downhill from there. My phone was sitting on the table, it fell on the ground. I think it broke. In a stupor, I ensured it was broke, thinking at the time that I should take full advantage of the insurance. (This was helped along in the back of my mind by the fact that one of the buttons was loose, and it bothered me from the beginning, when I got my new phone).

I watched the Spartans until halftime. This is when Caleb, Kade, Miranda, and I decided that it would be better to watch the second half of the game at home, on the couch, in HD. The idea sounds great!! It didn't happen that way.

I went to my car, which would have been a big mistake, except for the fact that I didn't have my keys. The safeguards against drunk driving were well into effect. I think at the time, I was too exhausted to remember this. I lied flat in my car, after getting in with the clicker. I promptly fell asleep. In the meantime, the others made it home safely.

I woke up around 1 and realized that I had been sleeping in my car. I realized that I had no keys, and really wished that I would have just went home with everyone else. I walked over to 7/11 to use the ATM. I figured $100 would get me home. (I am retarded). I then waited for a cab. I got into the cab with four other guys and told the driver where I would need to go. I sat down and took a long ride out to Chandler's Crossing. When the other four guys got out, the cab driver asked where I needed to go. He promptly told me he couldn't go all the way over there. I asked him if that was his job. He got annoyed. I got annoyed even more. He ended up driving me basically back to where he picked me up, swearing that he didn't have time to take me 4 miles away. I even offered him $20 to do so. He said it wasn't about the money. I pointed out that business was about money and that he basically was an idiot. I literally threw $5 at him, as he insisted that I didn't owe him anything.

I got out and sought out another cab. (By the way I only had a sweatshirt on).

The second cab said she couldn't go out to Lansing, she was doing runs from the Brody Complex to downtown only. I got annoyed.

The third and final cab driver basically told me I was an idiot for trying to get a cab to take me to the East Side of Lansing. He said it was a game night and it was too busy to go that way. Flabbergasted, I pondered what the City of East Lansing does to help prevent kids from drinking and driving. This is when I came to the realization that they do nothing. In fact, they prefer that kids drink and drive so they can have more revenue and their police officers can make their bonuses.

On a side note, the City of East Lansing is one of the worst run governments that I have ever seen. They are the epitome of hypocritical, saying they embrace their student population, and turning their backs on them for their residents. I wish they would realize that without the students, their town would be nothing more than a run down, shitty little city.

Sorry, I digress.

I started walking, thinking it was pretty cold just for a sweatshirt. Without a cellular telephone, I couldn't call any friends, or even attempt to call another cab. I walked by the 24/7 store at the corner of Grand River and Michigan Ave. I stopped in to see if any cabs ever stopped there. The two workers said no. I asked if I could call a cab. They handed me a phone book. I asked if I could use a phone. The reluctance was ridiculous. Finally they let me place a call. It was busy. I told them that and they replied that it would be busy until 3am. They promptly took the phone and phone book away from me. The one employee suggested I take CATA. (Although I don't even think they run that late, I tried to get some quarters for the bus. They wouldn't give me change even!

I knew I would just walk in the cold. I had exhausted my options.

Before I left, I muttered something to the employees about getting robbed and shot and killed. Thankfully that didn't happen, because I would have become a prime suspect.

I walked home. Everyone was asleep, as they should have been.

Sunday morning, I found out that MSU won. I was happy, and confused, a little mad at myself, and a little embarrassed.

I fought through the dumb dumbs and had a productive day.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow! what a crazy day. i thought you may be in monroe. i laid on my couch kinda sick.

the whole atrophy of your thumbs is very concerning. i almost freaked out when verizon said i may not have a phone till tuesday. i don't know how you can last that long.

as for the city of east lansing. i totally agree. they silently encourage drunk driving. it gives their jack-ass police something to do. as far as the government, i have never been overly impressed by their actions, but frequently disappointed in their treatment of the students.

the second half was way better than the first half. sounds like a good day though, minus the end of the day. cabs are stupid.

i hope your new phone is a good phone. i should get insurance on my phone. this story has inspired me to do so.

Anonymous said...

i was just lamenting today how i wished i had someone to go to happy hour with friday. no one here likes to day drink, and after the way this week has started i think i'm gonna need a happy hour.

but yeah i think the way the city of east lansing treats its students extremely poor considering they are the reason the city even exists. seriously how do you not get a cab? you barely even live outside the east lansing limits, and i'm sure it takes less time to get to your place than it does the "northern tier."

Anonymous said...

wow crazy story! I personally hate the city of east lansing, their police and the so called "taxi's" with a passion, however I love MSU!

Em if we were in the same city (or if I was allowed to drive to Toledo), I would go straight to happy hour with you from CMU!

JC said...

I say bring the happy hour to the east side of Lansing.

JC said...

By the way..... Em, I am missing texting you right now, as The Hills begins.

Anonymous said...

i missed texting you! i was going crazy! i feel so bad for lc, she has terrible friends. and brody is such a douchebag i can hardly handle it. he's a publicity whore who should never be on tv again.

i'll be in east lansing the 8 and 9, perhaps a jimmy's happy hour is in order then?

Anonymous said...

no one texts me when the hills are on. that's okay, i don't watch it. hopefully you have your phone for the game tomorrow jc. that's when we'll text

Anonymous said...

that's ridiculous. el is retarded.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you realize that the cab companies (which are mostly stupid) don't have anything to do with EL government, the cops, MSU or anything else EL related. Most of the cab companies that work in EL are based in Lansing and privately owned. If a cab driver treats you poorly, it has absolutely nothing to do with East Lansing government policies. Cab companies are businesses just like any other. If you get crappy service at 7/11 you don't whine that the EL government is responsible, do you? Makes no sense.

Also, I agree that EL would be just another shitty town if it weren't for MSU. However, I think most students fail to realize how ridiculously high property taxes are here and that EL would also be a shitty town if it weren't for the residents. We pay a lot of money to make this town attractive
(and I use that word lightly) to both students and residents alike and it's ridiculous to think that you can treat the entire city like a college campus and expect the residents to roll out the red carpet. We're paying to make this place what it is and a little bit of mutual respect would go a long, long way.

JC said...

I don't think that you realize that there was some exaggeration involved in this post regarding the ridiculousness of the situation. Besides, I do have issued with the City of East Lansing government that are above and beyond any context discussed here.

Let me just stop you before you whine and cry about your property taxes that you pay to entitle you to your beautiful city. Students have problems too, like paying upwards of $2500 a month to rent a shitty house in your "beautiful" city. Hmmm....

I will stop now, since you won't be back to read this reply for a while. I am sure you are out on the town, contributing to the economy and spending your hard earned money out in Okemos.

Anonymous said...

Not really sure why you are so pissed off with my comment. I never said that E. Lansing is beautiful--in most respects I was agreeing with you. I also have issues with E. Lansing government, but I simply don't see the correlation with the way the city is run and a crappy taxi driver. I disagree that I was whining about my property taxes--I was merely attempting to point out that us residents are not parasites.

You made a lot of assumptions about me in your comment. First of all, I've lived in E. Lansing most of my life, I've been a college student here, I've paid rent here, I have lived in the "student ghetto" and currently live in E. Lansing as a homeowner. I personally know several business owners downtown E. Lansing and show these friends & aquaintances my support by spending my money in their stores/restaurants. I think it's safe to say I have a good idea of what I'm talking about. Over and over again I hear the sentiment that E. Lansing wouldn't be here if it weren't for MSU students--as if us residents have nothing to do with it. I only hoped to change the perspective a bit. Seems there are very few people who want to improve the living situation here, but plenty of people who want to bitch about it. I guess part of the problem is that students are transient so really, why should they care what the residents' point of view is? I honestly don't know what possessed me to step up on my soap box here, but all the same, thanks for allowing me to say some things.

JC said...

I apologize for making assumptions and being defensive. It is agreed that everyone should pitch in and do positive things to improve the community and our own standards of living.