Sunday, February 11, 2007

Ski tripping in mid-Michigan

Saturday was one of those gem days. They do not happen all that often. It was amazing!

Friday night was fun as well, but rather low key. It included only Jimmy's Pub, but with our favorite waitress, Tex. Caleb and I left around1 and walked home in the frigid temperatures and snow.



We awoke Saturday morning and accepted our mission.

The warm clothes were chosen. The Jeep was packed up. It was 11:25am. Jimmy's Pub was visited again, as a token to the day that was ahead of us. Much to our surprise, Tex was there again. We ended up playing Keno and having a few beers and enjoying the Saturday morning/early afternoon patrons and employees. Just before two, we decided that we should head up to Brighton to meet Chris and Katherine.



We received great news that AZ was not going to have to be on call and could join us in the festivities. Although he did not want to ski, he supported the drinking festivities in the lodge.

After a few margaritas it was time to go.

Katherine was fearless in her debut. Chris and I were semi-pros, or very good amateurs. Caleb was spectacular.

I was the first (and only) one to bite it. I went down a side with Caleb that I had no business doing. The only reason I went down was because I was being too cautious and tentative. I put the tip of my ski into the ground and became a pinwheel. I thought I hurt my knee a little from the twisting. Turns out I was just a little baby. I didn't find Caleb again for another hour or so and just skied by myself, which was surprisingly fun.

Meanwhile, after my crash, Caleb sat at the bottom of the hill and watched someone who he thought was me fall multiple times and tumble down the hill. He thought he had killed me. When the gentleman got down the hill, Caleb approached him to make sure I was ok. But it wasn't me.

The second and last fall was not really my fault. We were crossing slopes and I was following Chris. he noticed that there was a rope on the ground and lifted his skis over it. I noticed a split second too late. I got one ski over and the other latched on. I stopped in mid air as my momentum was abruptly halted, and went face first into the ground. It was more comical than painful. It deserved more alcohol, nonetheless.



So the night went on. I think we got out of there at 1:30 after a $120 tab in the lodge. At times, Chris was forced to drink beer out of a white wine glass. He took it well.



I had so many layers on that I was toasty warm the entire time!

Back at Chris's house we played Tecmo Super Bowl. I was 2-0, including a 35-0 romp to end the evening.

Youtube has funny things on it.

Andy and I are chatty Cathys.

I think I sent a million text messages this weekend. Sorry if that makes me lame.



It is time to go back to work. Boo!




P.S. unfortunately, some of the pictures were blurry. Boo again!

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

well documented. katherine and i had a blast, thanks for inviting us. and thanks for letting me know i need to do alot of practicing before the tecmo bowl tournament.

Anonymous said...

that sounds like an awesome night and the pictures say a thousand words

Anonymous said...

sounded (and looked like) a fun day/night!

and jon according to one of you million text messages you were "ridin' dirty" at one point in the night also

JC said...

Thankfully, Emily reassured me that they couldn't catch me.

Chris, I think I am coming down that way next weekend to go see my parents, perhaps. If you are around, I will stop in and do your taxes.

Anonymous said...

oh, i forgot about the shoe drinking pictures. that was interesting.

awesome recap. it was a lot of fun. i still haven't had an enchalida yet, but i'm gonna have one soon.

you destroyed me in tecmo bowl. barry sanders is very good.

sorry i didn't ski, but i was just really tired. i feel i was able to hold my own on the drinking end. i apologize for people feeling like they had to sit and chat with me. i could have just had some drinks alone while ya'll enjoyed the slopes. i've drank alone before and there is a very good chance i'll do it again.

thanks chris for letting me crash on your couch. i had some crazy dreams.

Anonymous said...

also...i'm gonna be in el on march 9 for a haircut. anyone up for a
friday -funday?

JC said...

Who is calling you a teenage girl? I am confused! I have a pair of scissors. They are much more effective in the neck region than a fist is.

Anonymous said...

i call him a teenage girl because he talks on the phone about three hours a night. he brings the title upon himself.

i'm pretty sure a punch in the neck would kill me because i don't have the energy to fight for my life. a jab in the neck with a pair of scissors would definitely take me out for good.

Anonymous said...

it's not every night.

jc, use the scissors and stab her something good.

by the way, she's racist.

Anonymous said...

i'm not a racist and i might bring a defamation lawsuit against you for writing that.

JC said...

AZ, I don't think I want to stab your sister. Maybe her roommate.... but probably not even.

There will be no lawsuit, since every time you log into TheBlogAlliance, you are consenting to a disclaimer, printed at the bottom of the page in .0001 font.

Andy, do you remember why Jimmy Paige never kisses girls?

Anonymous said...

nope. did i know that at one point?

why do i look like a donkey in those pictures?

Anonymous said...

oh yeah emily, bring it.

JC said...

Apparently it was because he liked Lord of the Rings too much. I didn't remember exactly, but I am glad I smuggled documentation out to Washington. Hopefully my contact in Washington can recommunicate the files back to me so I can write an extended blog about them.

Anonymous said...

i like these picture supported blogs.

i don't like sibling battles in comment sections though. you zillgitts need to fucking cool it!

Anonymous said...

i'm just kidding...sibling rivalry makes it interesting.

Anonymous said...

andy started it. it's his fault.

Anonymous said...

Can we also have a thursday-funday on 3/8 in EL? I'm working the State Gymnastics Meet Friday/Saturday :(

Anonymous said...

i apologize for the the sibling rants here.

and i didn't start it. emily did for calling me a teenage girl.

she's racist. not for the teenage girl comment, but for other reasons.

Anonymous said...

jon: let me know when you are planning on coming through this weekend.

zillgitts: i like the sibling rivalry. keep it up. and emily dont go threatning to sue people just cause you're in lawschool, not cool. and its not libel if its true... racist.