Wednesday, February 14, 2007

My Car is in MODS

My crooked spine, my senses dulled, that’s the point of delirium.

All of the Rally’s in the Metro Detroit area are changing their name from Rally’s to Checkers. That doesn’t change my mind of not eating there. Can I have a side of Betsy?

Although President Bush is slowing his administration’s war rhetoric toward Iran, it is disgusting how Orwellian this new debate has become. Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) have been replaced with a new scary term, Explosively Formed Penetrators (EFPs), war with Iraq replaced with war with Iran and the CIA’s continual intelligent failures. All of this sounds too familiar to replacing the war with Eurasia with East Asia and the Ministry of Truth propagating lies to scare the public into perpetual war.

How is 2007 treating everyone? Well I hope. Any good music I should download?

This is one of my favorite quotes I have read recently. It comes from the awesome Humming Text Vessel website. “.........I just feel like if I knew how to say "don't give me that shit!" in every language, I would be better prepared for what life has to offer..........”

93.9, The River, does not play “kick ass shit” as I was once told by a River employee. However, it does kick the shit out of 89X’s ass. That’s right. I called 89X incontinent.

In medicine there is a syndrome called systemic inflammatory response syndrome or SIRS. SIRS is a relatively non-specific syndrome, but if there is an infective source, like pneumonia, the patient with SIRS + infection has sepsis. Then if that person develops one or more organ dysfunctions, they progress to severe sepsis and then a syndrome called multi-organ dysfunction syndrome (MODS). Unfortunately, if the source cannot be controlled death is not too far off.

Recently a patient was admitted to the ICU at HFWH and surgery was consulted. The intern and I went to see this patient and the nurse and intern were arguing whether or not the patient was in severe sepsis. They believed he was no longer in severe sepsis and probably never was. However, I had to point out when the patient was admitted he was tachycardic, tachypneic, febrile and had an elevated white count so he hit all four SIRS criteria. Moreover, he had a positive C. Diff toxin (Morgan knows about C. Diff) so that was his source. Finally, his cortisol was low indicating his adrenals were not functioning properly. So, he met SIRS, plus a source, plus adrenal insufficiency. Hence, he was in severe sepsis at admission and should stay in the ICU until his cortisol, white count, temp, heart rate and respirations normalized.

Why do I bring this up? My car is in MODS and I just wanted to show the logic behind my theory. It began with the weird odor that was present for a long time. The left front daytime light went out and then the heat stopped working (now my car can only warms up secondary to the defrost). Shortly thereafter the serpentine belt broke. Then the latch to my hood fell off and cost a lot to replace. Then my CD player stopped working, forcing me to listen to the awful radio (but I like Alice Cooper’s show on WCSX). I wish I could make my car all better with antibiotics and IV fluids. But, if the “organs” keep failing in my car it may be time to withdraw care and let nature take its course.

Some quick recruiting news for Michigan State basketball.
The class of 2007 is loaded with talent and Spartan fans are going to embrace the win-at-all-costs attitude of point guard Kalin Lucas. His tenacity on the court is similar to that of Mateen Cleaves, but his game is more like TJ Ford and Chris Paul. That’s not a bad group in which to be included. This season he has lead his team to two fourth quarter victories against top teams in the state of Michigan. Recently he scored 11 of his 22 points in the final eight minutes to propel Orchard Lake St. Mary’s to a win over archrival Detroit Country Day.

Also, the Spartans are one of two schools the five star Lakewood, Oh star, 6’8 PF, Delvon Roe, is considering. At the end of this season the junior will choose between State and North Carolina. Izzo has not had great success in recruiting against ACC teams. He lost Chris Paul to Wake Forest (Paul didn’t want to compete with Marcus Taylor) and he was unable to woo Tyler Hansborough to East Lansing. However, Roe’s father has stated he wants his son to go to a school where the coaches will “get on their butts.” Moreover, Roe speaks with Raymar Morgan regularly and played on he AAU circuit with two Michigan State 2007 commits, Lucas and Durrell Summers. If Roe commits Michigan State’s class of 2008 will include the number three point guard in the nation, Korie Lucious, and the number one power forward.

Oh yeah. The 2009 Final Four is in Detroit. I have a feeling Izzo is building for something.

6 comments:

JC said...

I would really enjoy it if Izzo had a secret plan. Two words regarding your car: Insurance Fraud.

az said...

i would also like it if izzo had a secret plan. i would also like it if they made the tournament this year and could score more than 60 points in a game.

two words: good plan.

are you snowed in too? my surgeries were cancelled today (non-emergent). i just have to round on patients and do the new consults. then i'm done. nice.

Anonymous said...

I have SIDS.

Buy American!

I want to make a snowman, but instead I have to drive 30 miles in it to work then 30 miles in it home, only to remove it from my driveway. I guess that's the real meaning of valentines day.

az said...

it is the real meaning of valentine's day. can i buy an american snowman with sids?

Anonymous said...

you tell me

Anonymous said...

i love your Green Day intro.