Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Rationalize This

Sorry folks, it is another sports post. Andy does medical posts because he is smart. I do sports posts because I am not. Andy can also do a better sports post than me, so regardless I feel like shit about The Alliance today.

Selection Sunday is looming. Michigan State finally has nothing to worry about, that is unless they totally bomb out their next two games and in the first round of the Big Ten tournament. Regardless, I think they would still make it, but that is my opinion.

The Spartans are firing on all cylinders. They are showing heart. They seem determined. They are everything that I have been waiting for out of them since the season began.

The analysts have made the Spartans pretty much a lock for the tournament. After dogging them all year for being too young and inexperienced, it finally seems like some are taking notice. Maybe it took College Gameday being in East Lansing when the #1 Badgers were visiting. I am fine with that. Where is the rest of the country though?

Looking at the new rankings for this week, where are the Spartans in the Top 25? Ummm..... I didn't see them either. Where is the love? I guess there is a little in the AP poll. They have the Spartans 26th. The coaches, only gave State 17 votes. 17 votes!

My case in point being Air Force. Air Force dropped their last two games, to TCU and UNLV. They are still in the Top 25 in both polls. Air Force has only played a few games against quality opponents. They lost by 15, to Duke. They also lost to BYU. I applaud the balanced attack of Air Force. I can only imagine what it would feel like to have four seniors all scoring in double figures. In the current Bracketology, Air Force is slated as a 5 seed in the South bracket.

Currently, Michigan State is unranked and is slated as a 10 seed in the West bracket. Sure we recently lost 4 in a row, but two of those were to Ohio State (one of which was by 2 points). If anybody wasn't aware of it, Ohio State is the best team in the nation. Duke recently lost four in a row to Virginia, Maryland, North Carolina, and Florida State. They are currently ranked #17 and are slated to have a 5 seed in the West bracket. Michigan State rebounded with a HUGE win against Wisconsin and followed it up by a win against Indiana.

Where is the love people? Is it going to take a large road win against Michigan tonight? Done. Is it going to take another huge win against Wisconsin on the road on Saturday? Done again.

Go State!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am too stupid to follow sports. If I dilute my brain anymore than it is, I will be like the urine of a well hydrated jabberwocky.

JC said...

I disagree. I think it is the contrary. I am too stupid not to follow sports.

Anonymous said...

i guess i am also stupid because i follow sports, too. and i'm not nearly as intelligent as jon or andy when it comes to the matter.

jon i totally agree with you though! we get no love whatsoever. i really don't understand it...when duke is having an "off" year everyone is still gaga for them. they go on a 4 game losing streak in the acc and it means nothing, but we go on a 4 game losing streak in the big ten and we are imploding, and unlikely to make the ncaa tournament.

anyway, i could go on forever about this, but i just hope we kick the shit out of michigan tonight. all the michigan fans at my school are saying they are going to win (they are also stupid, by the way). i'd love to prove them wrong.

Anonymous said...

michigan is dumb people school. I hope they lose badly.

Anonymous said...

michigan is not a dumb person school. they are a smart person school. no one we know is dumb.

how about this - vandy is 19-9 with a win over florida on their record and are in the top 20. we are 21-8 with wins over byu, bradley wisconsin and indiana and unranked. moreover, duke losers of 4 in a row a week ago and now 22-7 do not have a quality win to post, but are ranked 14. it is a lack of respect for michigan state in the media. everyone loves to talk about tom izzo and the spartans as having a down year, yet if this team wins tonight they will have a better big ten record than last year's team and will almost certainly get to more wins and have a better overall record. a ten seed is fine with me because we can beat any potential two seed out there. and the last time we had a "down team" and were a ten seed i believe we went to the elite eight in 2003. so espn and all the other sport media outlets can fuck off. let state fly under the radar, because if michigan state ends up with 22-24 wins going into the tournament all we'll hear about is how good of a coach tom izzo is. if duke was unranked and beat a number one team like wisconsin, the blue devils would jump to number two in the polls. screw all of this ranking non-sense.

Anonymous said...

oh yeah and i don't write entertaining posts like you jc. mine are very lame and from time to time sprinkled with some goodness.

JC said...

In fairness to Duke, they beat Indiana, Georgetown, Gonzaga, Clemson twice and Boston College twice. I am not supporting them or their case in any way. Most of their losses were much worse than State's losses.

Anonymous said...

Michigan and MSU have smart people.

It's just Michigan people are more snobby about it.

Anonymous said...

the michigan fans getting on my nerves today were the ones who went to bowling green. i have no problem with people rooting for a school they didn't go to. my issue becomes when they give me a hard time for rooting for the school i actually did go to. if that makes sense. i think i'm reusing this argument from jon and andy, but i don't phrase it quite as eloquently as they do.

but i think both michigan and michigan state are smart people schools. and it's not that often that i dislike a michigan fan who actually attended school there.

Anonymous said...

That makes complete sense to me Emily, (my roommates are similar to those bowling green people).

I agree on all the above, (since that seems to be the answer of the week for all my midterms, I'm applying it here also)

Anonymous said...

good points jc. i forgot duke does have several quality wins. my bad.

duke is evil. i hear they eat babies.

morgan is smart...
and cute...
and if you mess with him he has connections.

don't mess with morgan

Anonymous said...

And by "connections" AZ means I have Cingular, which has the fewest dropped calls.

JC said...

Oh yeah? Well, I have the Network. As you can read in this fine blog I am without my "network" more often times than not lately. I guess I have nothing.

Anonymous said...

morgan is proof that michigan is for lovers.

p.s. michigan state + michigan 4 ever!