Thursday, February 15, 2007

Today's Arguement.

When I was at the gym this morning, the radio DJ's were discussing the topic of women in the workplace. Apparently there was a news show on last night that discussed working parents (more predominantly mothers) sending their children to school when they are sick, simply since they can not take time off of work to care for. Both DJ's agreed that companies should give more flexibility to working parents, so they don't have to do that.

I don't want to sound totally sexist, so I am going to try to defend myself against that first. This applies to fathers as well. If you are lucky enough in this day and age to live with both parents as a child, between the two working parents, one should be able to stay home with the child when they are sick. That is the bottom line.

If you are a working parent and have a child, regardless if your spouse is around, you should probably think about finding a job that does give you the flexibility to care after your child when they are ill. There are so many companies out there that offer flex-time and opportunities to work part of your days at home. If you are a hard working parent who cares about your children, you should probably find one.

The bottom line is (and I have no basis for this, since I am not a father, as far as I know) that when you have a child, it should become your number one priority. If you have a high paying executive job or any other job that may facilitate less flexibility in your hours, you probably should set aside all of your personal financial goals, or whatever other motivations that you have, and think of your children.

I know this is hard, because in this day and age seemingly everyone sees dollar signs and hardly anything else. I just think that 80 percent of parents are retarded. No offense to retarded people.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was one of those lucky children until about 4th grade. I guess my luck ran out. then, when I was sick, I just went next door and stayed with my grandparents. so I guess my luck didn't run out...it just came in different forms.

but yeah, if your kid is sick and you don't have anyone else to watch him/her/it, stay home. if your employer doesn't like that, then maybe you should look for a different job. and if your kid is sick all the time, then maybe you need to look for a different kid.

having a child is a huge responsibility. does it seem strange to anyone else that you need a license(permission from the state) to drive a car, get married or sell things to people; but not to have a child? well, not here anyhow. I don't want to give them any ideas.

Anonymous said...

interesting points jacob. my parents stayed home often. every once in awhile my aunt beth or aunt fran would stay. but for the most part they stayed with me. but kids are a huge responsibility and it does seem odd that there are not any qualifications (and not that there should be) for being a parent. hmmm....

but yes, you should stay with your child if they are sick. i concur.

JC said...

People should simply refrain from having children. they are simply.........Sticky!?!?