Thursday, December 14, 2006

Third Time Today

So here it is: the third useless post of the day. And this one is actually useless; JC’s had relevance to actual news events.

The Downriver Innominates (my fantasy football team) is in the Muskrat Football League (MFL) Championship game!

Last weekend I went up 88-69 over Kurt Roecker’s Bucks Still Rule III heading into the Monday night match up between the Bears and Rams. Tory Holt (Kurt’s second receiver) ended up having an excellent game: 76 yards and two touchdowns for a total of 19 points. That gave the Bucks Still Rule III 88 and thus our game ended in a tie. That’s right the MFL semifinal game was a tie.

However, because Kurt’s bench had scored more points than my bench, thanks to Drew Brees’ five-touchdown performance, I lost the tiebreaker and was relegated to the third place game.

Today as a dejected and disinterested GM/coach I went to enter my line-up and unbeknownst to me the Downriver Innominates received a score correction and bumped my total to 89 points. The Innominates won, 89-88, and my team is now in the championship game.

Last year I was teased a lot because my team, the Ligers, was awful. I did not get to draft my own team and had to sculpt it through free agency. My best move, acquiring Larry Johnson, providing a couple of victories but that was it. This year I was able to personally draft my team and then made two sound moves through free agency by picking up the Baltimore Ravens defense as well as Phillip Rivers.

Sometimes fantasy football mirrors real life (that’s a pathetic start to a sentence) and my Innominates had a Spartanesque season. I started off 7-1, only to lose three of my last four games going into the playoffs. My kids rebounded and now have reached the MFL championship game. The kids played their tails off and the coaches did not screw it up.

After a 2-10 record last year, I have reversed my fortunes and I’m now 10-4. I think I deserve coach of the year honors.

So this weekend everyone should root for Phillip Rivers, Larry Johnson, Julius Jones, Reggie Wayne, Plaxico Burress, Ben Watson, the Baltimore Ravens defense and Adam Vinetari. And root against LaDanian Tomlinson.

In other news, the head coach/GM of the Downriver Innominates has no life.

2 comments:

JC said...

I like Plaxico, Julius Jones, Reggie Wayne, and Larry Johnson.

Boo to Philip Rivers!

LT will either break his leg or tear his ACL / MCL, so don't worry. You are all good for a championship!

Are you going to play "One Shining Moment"?

Anonymous said...

i will root for Plaxico (because he's on my team) and Reggie Wayne (because that means that Peyton probably did well).