Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Steal My Pens? F**k You

I hope you enjoy the pen you stole out of my Essentials of Obstetrics and Gynecology book. I was using it as a bookmark so you obviously had to open it up to take the pen. It was on page 197, the management of chronic hypertension in pregnancy. It’s a great pen, so I hope you really enjoy it.

By the way, it was very classy to steal a pen out of my book, but it was dumb because it was a pen from Henry Ford Hospital that stated, “I got my flu shot at HFH.” However, because you are a nurse at a different hospital, I highly doubt you received a pen for a flu shot at Henry Ford.

Hey, that is my Henry Ford Hospital fight against breast cancer pen. I got that at the Sladen library, in which I am sure you have never visited. Hey, that is my highlighter too. Oh, what’s that? You thought they were yours? Interesting because you left my book open from where the highlighter clearly was left. Again, I was highlighting the management of chronic hypertension during pregnancy.

Where is my cell phone? In a drawer? Why? They are not allowed on the OB Unit? You didn’t say anything when my attending was talking on the cell phone or when another attending was chatting to his wife. You see my attending is calling me about a woman at another hospital in labor and you hung up the phone while I was trying to talk to him.

To sum up: the nurses on this OB Unit stole two pens of mine and a highlighter I was using to bookmark the chapter I was reading in my OB/GYN book; placed my cell phone in a drawer because they are not allowed in the OB Unit (with some qualifications I guess); hung up the phone while I was trying to talk to my attending about another patient and then yelled (literally) at me for answering my phone when he called. The stealing of the pens and hiding of the cell phone occurred while I was assisting a delivery and the cell phone incident occurred while I was writing the delivery note.

You see, I’m a medical student and henceforth some nurses believe they are superior and can treat me like shit. I will sound like an ass here, but while the nurses have much more clinical experience than me, they are nowhere near my level of medical education. Moreover, no one should ever treat anyone in a demeaning manner. If I were an intern and a nurse talked to me like that, his/her ass would be in serious trouble…and he/she probably would not have the nerve to act like that to a doctor.

Nurses always say to physicians, “Treat us well or we can make your life hell.” But the problem is many nurses have surly attitudes and believe they know as much or more than a physician. They don’t. They are smart, hard working and underappreciated, but in no way near a physician.

So any nurse who believes they have the right to treat medical students in this fashion, go fuck yourself. And if you do it again, I may just say that to you.

5 comments:

JC said...

Hey AZ, have you ever seen the MTV show Rob & Big? Probably not, because you are not a loser. I have an idea for our lives. It will be based on that show's premise, so look it up on the internet. You can be a doctor, instead of a professional skateboarder. I will be a big fat white guy instead of a big fat black guy, but will still provide protection and comic relief.

Anonymous said...

i love Rob & Big... great show to just laugh your ass off for a 1/2 hour. Sorry to hear about your pen and cell phone incidents with the nurses that sucks.

JC said...

AZ, you are a skinny punk so deal with it. There is only room for one girthy figure in our little skit that we will call our lives. I have never seen the show on MTV2, had I, I never would have watched it.

If you stole me a baby, I would name it after you.

Anonymous said...

then i shall steal one.

but keep that on the down low

Anonymous said...

Em why were you in lansing?