Sunday, December 17, 2006

My 40 hours

I got to be home for roughly 40 hours. I had a horrific trip home from Oklahoma. I could care less if I ever step foot in that state again. It all went down something like this.....

I called the night before my flight, to try to get on an earlier flight. There was a Christmas party to be attended, and I needed time to prepare. (Thanks again Em, it was absolutely AWESOME!)

I was told by the customer service agent that standby flights are available for confirmation three hours befroe the flight. She told me that there was a flight at 6 and a flight at 6:35 that were avilable. We talked about options and it was agreed that I need to get up and call at 3am. Sure, that is early, but to get home, it was worth it.

I awoke at 2:45 to collect myself and call customer service again. She said there were a few seats available on the 6 and 6:35, so I went to the airport. I took my rental car back and was excited to get on my way out of OK. I got to the airport at 4 something. There was no ticket agent yet. The line was forming for people to check in for the 6am flight. The agent got there and promptly announced that the 6am flight was cancelled. A clusterfuck ensued. I called customer service while standind in line and confirmed a seat on the 6:35 flight. When it was my turn to check baggage, the ticket counter lady told me that I was flying standby and I couldn't check baggage. First of all, this is a lie, since I did it a few weeks ago at Laguardia. Regardless, she gave me a hard time and wouldn't let me check in. She told me she could check my bags for my 11:40 flight so I wouldn't have to lug them around. That was nice of her....NO! She wouldn't listen to the fact that I HAD a seat on the 6:35 flight. She made me wait while she figured out the rerouting of all of the 6am flight people. Finally, around 8, there was no one around the counter. I tried to get rid of my bags, as the lady suggested.

I approached the counter and the agent tried to check my baggage. She was having a problem. She then told me that I had a seat on the 6:35 flight and missed my flight. I almost (and don't know how I didn't) flipped out. To make matters worse, my original flight was now full. She blamed me for not having a flight and didn't know what she could do for me to get home. I reminded her of the scenario earlier. She still denied blame. i asked for her boss. I calmly explained the situation, and under pressure from her boss (and fear for her job) she admitted she made a mistake. It took nearly another two hours to find a flight for me. Everything was booked. I ended up flying to Chicago on American Airlines and to Lansing on United. I assumed that there was no way in hell that my luggage was going to be with me when I arrived. Finally, good things were abound when my bags were the first ones off of the conveyor.

I headed home, ironed, showered, tied my tie, and was off with my two dates for the evening.

(I apologize for the length of this post, so I will start speeding this story up).

The surf and turf was amazing, especially after I switched steaks with Em, so I could have the bloodier one. The lobster was ridiculous. The booze was flowing and everyone was beautiful, especially a few certain individuals. It was a ridiculously fun evening. We went home, went on a wild goose chase, and retired on the L.

We awoke to watch shitty TV and lazily lie on the couch until I had to go to my meeting at 1:30. After that, there was more laziness until around 6, when El Azteco was calling our names. In between there, the Back to the Future marathon was not as good as one might think.

It was then off to L&H (which I have not stepped foot in in months) for some tasty and energetic libations. We bumped into a few girls from the party the previous night. I then felt bad for calling one of them "gorilla arms". Despite her overly hairy appendages, she is a beautiful, although tall, girl. Then, it was off to Woodys. I swore I would not get drunk, since I had to fly out to Boston today. I lied to myself. I didn't think I was too drunk, until I woke up at 4am and vomited. (It had certainly been a while for that).

If you happened to watch the MSU basketball game last night, you probably wanted to kill yourself. If you were able to hear SNL last night, it was probably much funnier than I think, since I read comedy through closed captioning made possible by shitty bar music.

Now, I am exhausted, at the airport, bored, headachy, defeated.

No comments: