Saturday, December 23, 2006

The Lost Files

Disclaimer - I wrote this while I was in the on-call room Friday morning. I never got to post it. Now here it is. Sorry for the delay.

Ain’t it a shame to go fishing on a Sunday, ain’t it a shame.

I’m here at Henry Ford Wyandotte Hospital at 1.00 am. I have not been in my bed this week. Every night I’m at one of three hospitals, Oakwood Southshore, Oakwood Main Campus or Wyandotte. This week there has been two C-sections, five vaginal births, one woman still in labor (I’m waiting for her to delivery, she’s at 4/90/-1, if anyone cares…you don’t), and one twin birth. I’m exhausted. The 80-hour workweek implemented by the Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education does not apply to attendings or medical students, only residents and interns. So, since Sunday, I have worked near 80 hours and I’m on a 36-hour call shift. I have a decent break right now.

I miss JC and Chris. Sorry, I didn’t get back with you JC. I’ll see one tomorrow, both over the next week or so of vacation and then one on New Years. You all can guess which one I’ll see on those two dates. It’ll be a fun little game.

I don’t have much to say because I haven’t done much. I wanted to talk about Spartan football recruiting, but I haven’t read much about them recently.

I think it would be easy to hook up in the on-call rooms. I’m in one right now, but no girl. I guess I could hook up with myself, but I am the master of my domain…king of the castle…

Every paragraph has started with I. I’m either self-centered or not very creative. Or both.

The YouTube skit Jacob emailed caused quite a stir with the replies. I wish I would have joined in on the fun.

That paragraph didn’t start with I. It started with the.

Does anyone remember Coon Eyes? Who’s Dick Waters?

Is it okay to like that Ok Go song?

I wish Marines would stop killing Iraqi civilians. If I were in the armed forces, I might make that my New Year’s resolution.

Medications for mental disorders are “dirty” drugs. They have many adverse effects and there is no better example of “dirty” drugs than those used to treat schizophrenia. In the past medications labeled as “typical” neuroleptics, such as haloperidol, only treated positive symptoms of schizophrenia, i.e., hallucinations, and caused serious adverse reactions from the potentially fatal neuroleptic malignant syndrome (NMS) to the socially debilitating tardive dyskinesia (TD). Pharmaceutical companies then began to develop medications to treat both positive and negative symptoms of schizophrenia. These new medications fell into the realm of “atypical” neuroleptics. They were touted as a more efficacious medication compared to the “typicals” and did not cause the severe adverse reactions, such as NMS and TD. However, these treatments have some very serious side effects. Clozapine can cause agranulocytosis, a condition in which there is a decrease in WBC and thus a patient cannot effectively fight off a bacterial infection. Another medication, olanzapine (Zyprexa), has been verified to increase an individual’s risk of metabolic syndrome, particularly elevated glucose levels. Recently the New York Times acquired internal memos from the company Eli Lily stating Zyprexa increased the risk of hyperglycemia (elevated glucose/sugar) by 3.5 times that of a placebo. However, when Eli Lily presented the data to physicians they explained there was only a mildly elevated risk of increasing one’s blood sugar. It’s bad enough to focus schizophrenia treatment solely on pharmaceutical remedies, let alone lie about the medications side effects. The federal government (other than the Food and Drug Administration), or a private independent agency, should audit pharmaceutical companies in a manner that eliminates the ability to “juke the stats.” I doubt this Zyprexa incident will cause as big of a stir as the COX-2/Vioxx debate, but it just adds fuel to the fire that big Pharma has too much political power, manipulates research and attempts to falsely influence physicians.

Did that last long paragraph make any sense? It’s late. I don’t think it did.

Well she’s 8/90/-1. Time to go.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dick Waters is who our natatorium in the high school is named after. I think he was one of Monroe High's first swim coaches.

Unless you are thinking of a different Dick Waters.

Anonymous said...

I am Daniel Haszard took Eli Lilly zyprexa 4 years for PTSD didn't do me any good made me gain weight and gave me diabetes.The zyprexa cost $250.00 a month all during that time too.

Only 9 percent of adult Americans think the pharmaceutical industry can be trusted right around the same rating as big tobacco.

Zyprexa, which is used for the treatment of psychiatric disorders, such as schizophrenia and bipolar disorder, accounted for 32% of Eli Lilly's $14.6 billion revenue last year.

Zyprexa is the product name for Olanzapine,it is Lilly's top selling drug.It was approved by the FDA in 1996 ,an 'atypical' antipsychotic a newer class of drugs without the motor side effects of the older Thorazine.Zyprexa has been linked to causing diabetes and pancreatitis.

Did you know that Lilly made nearly $3 billion last year on diabetic meds, Actos,Humulin and Byetta?
Yes! They sell a drug that causes diabetes and then turn a profit on the drugs that treat the condition that they caused in the first place!

I was prescribed Zyprexa from 1996 until 2000.
In early 2000 i was shocked to have an A1C test result of 13.9 (normal is 4-6) I have no history of diabetes in my family.
----
Daniel Haszard

Anonymous said...

yeah, it made sense. the FDA is corrupt institution and it is a constant failure, giving people a false sense of security for dangerous drugs. they are also responsible for criminalizing many natural, healthy foods and alternative medicines that could help people. It doesn't matter what the name of the department is, the problem is the source, which is the federal government. you can't expect a gang of legalized thugs to produce an efficient, trustworthy program.

sorry...I have a chip on my shoulder. I guess it's probably annoying.

Anonymous said...

daniel, thank you for viewing the blog. i'm sorry to hear about your encounters with olanzapine. it's not uncommon to hear that type of reaction to psychotropic medications and it amazes me how psychiatrists believe so firmly in medicating patients. i am not aware of olanzapine being indicated for ptsd. i have read of ssri's as well as benzodiazepines, but not atypicals. i know sometimes medications have "off-label" uses, but i have never seen or heard zyprexa used in that manner. an a1c of 13.9 is outrageous and at some point it would seem likely a physician would have routinely checked an a1c and when they saw it elevated discontinued the medication. however, i am not familiar with your case, so i do not want to make any bold statements without understanding everything that occured. i hope things are better now.

as for eli lily and big pharma in general, they are out of control with greed and poor science. i have written several times about drug reps and other lies given out by the drug industry. i'm sure you've come across this book, but if you haven't check out the truth about drug companies by marcia angell.

jacob, my issue is with individuals in any governing position who possess an arrogance and a pompus attitude toward citizens and residents. i believe in a strong federal government, but the folks there have lots of issues and some are just straight up thugs. i wish i had a good answer to decrease the thug nature, but keep a strong government...that probably can't happen though. but this is certainly a case where an independent agency would help and the fda has really dropped the ball recently. as for herbal meds....i'll save that for another day.

kohler, thank you for the explanation of dick waters. i was hoping someone would answer, "mine does." get it? whose dick waters. that's an old sieb joke.

Anonymous said...

damn it! i was all over the "mine does" until i read your comment.

Anonymous said...

yes, you are self-absorbed but i would be too if i were you.

i could care less about dick waters.

how about reviewing anxiety medications next- i'm talking zoloft, effexor xr, and let's toss in Dextroamphetamine Sulfate for shits and giggles.

Anonymous said...

yes, you are self-absorbed but i would be too if i were you.

i could care less about dick waters.

how about reviewing anxiety medications next- i'm talking zoloft, effexor xr, and let's toss in Dextroamphetamine Sulfate for shits and giggles.