Monday, December 11, 2006

The next great debate

After watching some of the Lions game yesterday, I decided to start thinking about the future. That already puts me one step ahead of William Clay Ford and Matt Millen.

It is obvious that the Lions are going to get the first pick in the NFL draft this year. No other team is competing for this spot with such fervor.

Detroit's track record on draft day is less than spectacular. In the last five years, the Lions have made an attempt to revamp the offense and find some semblance of a "system". Notables drafted high in Detroit are: Mike Williams - not playing. Kevin Jones - doing what he can, but not an impact. Charles Rodgers - no longer with the team. Joey Harrington - no longer with the team. I can only imagine what other moves could have been made at the time. The only seemingly successful move was Roy Williams.

With Jon Kitna at the helm, the Lions are almost as helpless, if not more than they were with Joey Harrington. The off-season of the Lions, with respect to Quarterbacks was ridiculous. Joey gone. Shaun King picked up. Josh McCown picked up. Jon Kitna picked up. Shaun King released. Dan Orvlovski resigned. The way I see it is that Jon Kitna is not going to lead this team anywhere. Personally, I don't see either McCown or Orvlovski doing it either.

The NFL Draft is approcahing sooner than you think. There are two top quarterbacks available. Should the Lions draft for their future at this position? I say dump some of the baggage that you already have at that position and bring in some hot new talent.

If you agree, will it be Brady Quinn of Notre Dame or Troy Smith of Ohio State?
Personally, I like Troy Smith better. I like a quarterback with athleticism and the ability to make plays. I liked Vince Young and I like Troy Smith. Yes, he will have to adjust from the shotgun to a conventional snap. Yes, he is a little short. But, he has undeniable ability and heart.

Brady Quinn is pressure tested and in a vaible "system". He could be a great pro, but he also could be a bust. I am not completely sold on him.

This is only the beginning of NFL Draft debates in the upcoming month. Just wanted to throw itout there, for those of you who srill painfully follow the Lions.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

troy smith.

brady quinn is a douche

Anonymous said...

brady quinn is the next ryan leaf

Anonymous said...

brady quinn is the next ryan leaf

Anonymous said...

I don't think the Lions will draft either one. I think they'll draft Gaines Adams or an offensive lineman with the first pick, but I think it would be wise to trade down and stock up on draft picks.

Anonymous said...

if i have to pick between the two i choose Troy Smith.

Anonymous said...

can i vote again?

troy smith