Tuesday, December 12, 2006

Desolation and Depression

Ok, maybe not so much the depression part. Desolation definately.

I am staying in downtown Tulsa for the rest of the week. Big mistake. There is nothing going on here, nothing to do, and nothing to eat. Good, since I probably should never eat again.

Staying downtown in cities is supposed to be convenient. You are close to where you have to work. There are supposed to be places around you, in a self-supporting role to visitors of your downtown.

I just walked about 16 blocks, pretty much all of downtown Tulsa. I saw three people. I saw five cars on the road. Every single restaurant I passed by was closed. All of their hours were 11-2, Monday through Friday. Apparently this city is only alive for 9-5 business. It is garbage. I guess room service will have to suffice, since going to the lounge would mean I would drink. I don't want to drink.

Of the three people I saw, one gentleman approached me. He was very clean cut and from Indiana. He was a Notre Dame grad. He likes Michigan State, or so he says. He locked his keys in his car. A locksmith came, and he was short on cash. He said the locksmith was swearing at him, dropping some N-bombs in true Oklahomian red-neck fashion. Guess who came to the rescue? Me. He said he needed $13. I only had a $20. He wrote my name down and my phone number down. He said he would call me and get my address to send me the $20 when he gets back to South Bend. Strangely, I believe him. Even if he doesn't, and he was telling the truth, I will gladly give up $20 to help someone out, especially if they are being subjected to racial slurs and intimidation.

This is the second time in a week that I have given money to strangers. I was Christmas shopping with Caleb on Sunday and a lady approached us with a sob story, going the full nine yards and bawling. By the off chance that she was telling the truth and needed the money for gas to reach her daughter in Fort Wayne, she needed my $13 more than I did.

Hey, isn't it weird? The guy from Indiana needed $13, he got $20. The lady needed to get to Indiana and got $13. What is up with people from Indiana being in need? Whatever.

On to another topic. I used 1,680 text messages last month along with 660 minutes. That amounts to 56 texts per day and 22 minutes of talking per day. Today my phone has not rung or been messaged. That is skewing the averages. It is ok everyone, because I don't like me either.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

you know, i was just thinking no one has texted me in the past couple of days really. but don't think for a second i won't start texting the shit out of everyone i know.

don't try me.

Anonymous said...

i like you. i will call soon. i am more of a talking than texter.