Friday, January 12, 2007

Warning.......Grossness Ahead

Sometime this week I became ill. I started my new job on Monday at my office in East Lansing. I felt fine, other than a little anxiety and a poor night of sleep. I didn’t sleep on Monday, mostly from anxiety and related issues to starting my first day of field work down in Coldwater on Tuesday. The work day went well as a portion of it included making copies and petting puppies. Tuesday night I didn’t sleep because I wasn’t feeling well, the anxiety was probably gone completely, since I met and got along with everyone on my team. The actual medical issues began. My stomach had a general queasiness to it. I had a headache and my body hurt. Wednesday, I woke up and got ready for day 2 in Coldwater. The work day went well, except for my frequent restroom trips. The bug, or whatever it is, had taken full grips on my body. By the time I got home, I was freezing, clammy, light headed, tingly, gross stomach problemy, headachy, nauseous, and exhausted. Some people suggested (and I half – whole heartedly agree) that a contributing cause to my sleeplessness is my current addiction to text messaging. I got home at 6:30 and was asleep on the couch by 7. Apparently Andy and Jeni came over to my house to visit later on in the evening. I didn’t hear anyone at the door. I was out. I eventually woke up and retired to my bedroom (even remembering to take out my contact lenses) where I fell asleep immediately. I woke up on Wednesday to the same symptoms described above, but to a slightly lesser extent. I should have taken a sick day, but it is the first week of my new job. I would feel like a chump. I got through the work day with minor symptoms, besides the gross stomachy condition. That got worse. I got home, and skipped dinner, which is the norm throughout this whole week. Eventually Kade and Caleb went out to the bar. In an attempt to be social, I went with, despite my health. I only had a few beers, since I knew my stomach couldn’t handle them. I was right. All other conditions were normal, and my spirits were high, but the gross stomachy condition began to strengthen more and more. In the meantime, I did a small scale test to see if conclusive results could be measured on the text messaging front. (of course they couldn’t). It was then pointed out to me that all of my issues and symptoms may currently be due to withdrawal from my text messaging addiction. It is genius and probably true because the source seems very wise, and has proven to be right countless times in the past. Forward to Friday. I am just sitting in my office with nothing to do. Nobody else has anything that I can help them with. My disgusting stomachy issue is as bad as ever. I am sure that the few beers I had last night certainly didn’t help things. Other than that I am feeling physically fine. Afterall, I have gotten two great nights of sleep in a row.

I guess there are a few plausible solutions here. Finding a balance in my text messaging and other electronic communications is one. Another is to start to eat over the counter drugs like Pez candy and hope for the best.

I really don’t want to miss Chris’ Housewarming / MLK Day event on Saturday night!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

friends believe the good news of the gospel. in jesus christ we are forgiven.

i think the book of luke discussed the norwalk-like virus, now called the norovirus. and i will bet my financial aid you have a nasty case of viral gastroenteritis, or the stomach flu.

the norovirus hits adults in the winter months and worse it is often found in traveling locations, like cruise ships and to some extent airplanes. but i think you may have found a new cause, withdrawal from texting and other forms of electronic communication.

the incubation of this virus, the time from infection until symptoms, is roughly 12-48 hrs. then the symptoms last from a day to four days. things start to calm down after that.

it is very important to stay hydrated with all the volume loss from vomiting and diarrhea. also taking advil or tylenol can help with the general malaise.

i think you'll be ready for the warming of the house party.

Anonymous said...

andy, where's my posting on the SSRIs?? come on now!

jon, feel better :)

Anonymous said...

i am working on it. those things take a long time to write. for instance my last post. moreover, no one really likes those. anyhoo, it's coming. i have just finished three articles for it.

the medical management of depression in the new england journal. a depression switch in the nytimes. and a med review of ssri's. i want to give a complete picture. i need more direction. what exactly do you want me to cover?