Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Gollum Eyes, BMI and Infant Mortality

A scrub is a guy that thinks he’s fly, and is also known as a busta.

Why is TLC playing on my ITunes? It’s the randomness. The better question is why is it in my library? For that I have no good answer.

TLC could stand for T-Boz, Left Eye and Chili. But it could also stand for Tender Loving Care. Or in medicine it stands for Therapeutic Lifestyle Changes. I think it’d be fun to come up with other TLC meanings. For instance, Total Lactation Count or Torture List Consortium or Touché Little Child.

Those were stupid.

Eli Lily settled with 18,000 olanzapine (Zyprexa) patients for 500 million dollars. That’s a lot of money. I guess you shouldn’t lie about your research and side effects of your medication. Jack-asses.

Do I have dyslexia? oN.

Make sure you wash your hands several times a day. I always do, but I still got a nasty case of viral gastroenteritis (stomach flu). Not fun. It’s spreading like wildfire right now, so be careful and wash your hands.

I’m sure Michigan State basketball fans are very concerned after another 0-2 start in the Big Ten. Why is it that 8/12 of Tom Izzo’s years as head coach at State he has had to open on the road in the Big Ten? And the last two years he has had to open with his first two games on the road. Anyhoo, there are several problems with this team, but a big problem is Goran, the Moron, Suton. He misses lay-ups, he is 6’9’’ and doesn’t go up strong to dunk (which probably leads to his missed lay-ups), his jump shot is inconsistent, he has a slow first step followed by an out of control second step and he CANNOT dribble a basketball yet continues to try to take it to the hoop from 25 feet out. All the blame cannot be placed on the Moron, but he is a huge problem. Also, remember that despite Raymar Morgan, this team does not have a lot of explosiveness, athleticism or talent. There is not one McDonald’s All-American and Tom Izzo has not had a team or gone to the Final Four without at least one All-American since 1996. I predicted the Spartans would be 7-9 in the Big Ten. That may be pretty close, but I think they could also be 9-7. They should win their next four games at least.

I have nicknamed Ozkar Gollum Eyes because when I come home from work (can I call it work even though it’s still school?) he will be lying on my chair, hear me come in and prop his head over the back of the chair so all I can see is his eyes. It looks like the Gollum scene in the Mines of Moria when Frodo tells Gandalf Bilbo should have slayed Gollum when he had the chance. Anyhoo, since I have been listening to Sloan a lot recently, when I come in from work I sing, “Gollum eyes, see right through me,” to the tune of Golden Eyes. I also sing, “Fading into Ozkarity.” You know like Fading into Obscurity. I’m lame…or crazy…or both.

So the New York Times reported schools are sending home BMI, Body Mass Index, report cards to students who are overweight or obese. How stupid and frustrating is this? BMI is a standardized measurement used in studies because it gives an objective determination of what is considered normal weight. However, it does not take into account several important factors, one of those being muscle mass and the other lifestyle. For instance, my BMI is 25.1, which categorizes me as overweight. However, I’m not overweight. I have fairly muscular legs and muscle weighs more than fat. Many athletes, especially in a sport like football, will encounter a similar issue. BMI is not helpful and without the proper education of what a BMI actually means, it can lead to a lot of misinformation and have some deleterious effects, such as promoting eating disorders like Anorexia Nervosa. Shame on any school or teacher who does this to fragile adolescents.

Moreover, if we really want to address a public health issue let’s look at infant mortality in the US. The mighty United States is ranked 28th in the world with an infant mortality rate of 6.43 deaths/1000 births. That is behind Canada, Germany, the United Kingdom, Taiwan and Cuba! Singapore has the lowest rate at 2.29 deaths/1000 births. And the city of Detroit actually is more like a developing country with its infant mortality rate at 14.7 deaths/1,000 births (in the year 2000). That’s just about equal to the United Arab Emirates.

Oddly, on Sunday the New York Times ran an article discussing the health issues current runway models face because of their unhealthy eating habits. The article stated models should eat more and eat healthier. But not too much because then you will have a high BMI and get a bad report card.

Okay, this was long enough and I’m going on a rant. Sorry.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok...so I know your still alive. now, I will try to communicate with you by a third method. tune in Tokyo!

my BMI is about 12. is that because of my bisexual lifestyle? or does stupid weigh less than smart?

if runway models ate, modeling would
not be the spectacle that it is. why does everyone want everything to be "normal" and boring?

Free Arthur Lee!

Anonymous said...

hmmm....now I'm starting to wonder. I might have to try a telegram.

Anonymous said...

yo dude, i called you today. i have a question as well. i think telegram is the way to go though.

Anonymous said...

i thought you were gonna write about Broadcast Music Inc. and i was going to be impressed that you knew something about music publishing. instead you told me that i'm not obese even though evil people say so. thanks for the ego boost, i appreciate that...i need all the help i can get.

Anonymous said...

Fading into Ozkarity.

That's funny. In a silly/stupid way.

Anonymous said...

Did you get a flu shot? I didn't want to get one when they offered them at work.

But yea, any teacher who hands out a BMI index to overweight students is a jackass. It's like the mom at my school who told her daughter and a table full of girls (all 5 mind you)not to eat the Challa because its fattening. I can't believe a mom would say that to their child for a million of reasons. Sorry about the rant. I'm easily annoyed with that stuff.

Anonymous said...

as am i. everyone wants to get up in arms over childhood obesity and it seems it is more important to point out fat kids that actually promote healthier life-styles. the effects of discussing bmi without proper education does more harm than good. it's upsetting to read all the eating disorders that result from such ignorance concerning weight and even more bmi. anyhoo...

i did get a flu shot only because the nurse at henry ford walking around giving them to all employees promised me a sticker and a free pen.

with that being said, unless you have comorbidities that increase morbidity/mortality, then the shot is not something you must have. a healthy 23 y/o female does not need a flu shot like a 68 y/o diabetic, hypertensive, copder who has had a mi needs one.

so get it at your own discretion. you probably don't need it, but it won't hurt either.

Anonymous said...

I'm fortunate to work at a school in which the children's parents have forked over $15k+ to attend kindergarten, so the parents expect an amazing early childhood program. We have P.E. twice a week for 30 minutes and everyday we are outside in the 'yard' for 1.5 hours. When I did my student teaching in Saline, we had P.E. once a week and we never had time for recess because we had to teach things like math and/or phonics. So yea, I'm not a big fan of cutting down recess and P.E. (along with music, art, ect.) in favor of adding more curriculum into the school day.

Sorry. I'm stepping off the soap box now.

P.S. Was the nurse hot? I'm not sold on the free sticker and pen reasoning...

Anonymous said...

no she wasn't. it really was the sticker and the pen. i guess it did get me out of rounding for a good fifteen minutes. so maybe that was it.

there are attractive women out there, i'm sure. and every once and awhile i may notice them. but i've really lost interest in the opposite sex. essentially they are all evil. i'm much happier sitting in a dark apartment thinking out how i'd like to decorate my house when i get a house eventually.

i guess what i'm saying is i'm gay.

but i'm really not.

Anonymous said...

The one time I try to use my feminine ways I am shot down. So I hear you in fact that the opposite sex sucks and/or are evil.

Anonymous said...

it's not the opposite sex. it's just females. sorry you happen to be one.