Monday, January 15, 2007

Monday

The only way to kill a yellow beetle is to beat the shit out of it.

I am not a doctor. I leave those duties to people who are qualified, like AZ. My approach to health and medicine was to destroy my body, and hopefully the illness with it, by drowning it in liquor. Now, sensible Jon would have taken it easy and not went out this weekend. I knew this and thought it was a good idea not to do much. There is one rather large problem with sensible Jon though. He is easily influenced and overruled. Think of it as the devil on the other shoulder.

Friday was similar to other Fridays in the past. After work, a bottle of wine, champagne, and a nice vodka drink at home to warm up. Then we were warmed up enough to hit East Lansing. Immediately it was realized that East Lansing was busier than it should have been, so we went to find shelter in the Woody’s. It was definitely a good idea. Although, I still wasn’t feeling well, I had my medical game plan and I was sticking with it.

After a full night out, Caleb and I did the right thing and took a cab ride home. It took over 15 minutes of waiting in the light rain to find a cab. Then it took 45 more minutes to get us home. It is no wonder why so many people decide to drive impaired. I am glad that we didn’t.

Saturday, I walked back to EL to get my car. It was chilly, but not unbearable. It was off to Chris’ house where dress-up, euchre, NFL, and Mad Gab ensued. I did not overdo it, but had enough alcohol to keep up with my self-medicating program.

Then, the ice……. I went to bed after a sleeping spot was created for me at 6am. I feel bad, because I can’t imagine what I would think if I had been asleep for a few hours and all of a sudden the lights are thrown on and I am picked up and moved from my place on the bed. It must have been frightening and disorienting. Anyways, I fell asleep for about two hours. I got up and was going to make my signature exit, when I realized there was ice everywhere outside. I defrosted my car and listened to the freezing rain. I was just about to a) fall asleep in my car, since it was all nice and toasty, or b). take a test run around the block to check the roads, when Jacob came out to ensure I didn’t do anything dumb. (Thanks Jacob, I need that sometimes).

To round out the weekend, a quick trip to Jimmy’s Pub on Sunday evening after everyone and their brother finished watching the premiere of 24 (not me, I watched Tom Brady be a stud) was my dying attempt to make the illness leave my body completely. It was the last step of my medical approach to my wicked sickness. I think I am smart and it worked.

In other news, the MSU basketball team showed signs of heart on Sunday in their big win over Illinois at home. They faced adversity at halftime, made adjustments, and followed their game plan in the second half with energy and focus.

LaDainlian Tomlinson is a poor sport. After the Chargers lost to the Patriots, some Patriot players went up to LT to console him. LT was visibly upset (understandably so). He proceeded to push the players away from him and run away toward the locker room. He passed by many people who had words for him as he exited the field. He ignored all of them. Now, since I needed to finish my medication cycle at Jimmy’s I did not catch any post game of this. So, I am not sure if he explained himself or apologized. I thought that LT was a classy guy. He was never flashy or unsportsmanlike. He always had a business-like demeanor. I guess whatever frustration he feels gets bottled up and pushed deep within himself until yesterday happened. He temporarily exploded. I think the release was necessary, but still, as a professional man in the media spotlight, he should be able to get over it.

Here comes the rest of the week. Hopefully I can keep up.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

In the post-game interview, LT was talking about how the Patriots didn't have any class. Apparently they were stomping on the Chargers logo and impersonating Merriman's rediculous "dance". While that is not the definition of high-class, it is still better than headbutting an opponent after failing to pick up a first down.

Anonymous said...

my oh my. i am one ugly guy....or woman...what the hell

Anonymous said...

glad to hear you and caleb were smart on friday!

Anonymous said...

i agree with Brooklyn, kudos on the cab. and i don't mean throwing those infamous snack bars. however, i think moderation is the key here. although i don't completely discount your theory of health by way of liquor, i do believe that we should all steer clear of gluttony. lastly, let us consider this picture: jon, sleep-deprived and a wee bit hungover sitting in his car waiting for the ice to melt outside... don't you think the image of jon, well-rested and not a bit hungover, sitting outside on the patio watching the sun come up over the mountains with a jamba in one hand, isn't that a better image? i'm just saying.