Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Dream a Little Dream of Me...

MSU's green uniforms look extra sweet tonight versus Illinois tonight. Plus, two games in a row with Erin Andrews on the sidelines. Yum.

I have had a problem with my dreams lately. I haven't necessarily been sleeping poorly, but my dreams are disturbing me.

Just to put it out there, I have been dreaming that my friends are dying. Twice, I died as well. When it happened for the first time, I thought it was weird. When it happened twice, it was weird. Three times? perplexing. Four? psychotic.

I have been doing some research, as well as taking the research into account of one of the victims. All of the sources that I have found, suggest generally similar ideas, with some interesting twists. First of all, to see others dying, forebodes general ill luck to you and to your friends. I apologize if anyone has had any ill luck in the recent past, or does have in the near future.

Next, to see someone dying in your dream signifies that your feelings for that person are dead or that a significant change / loss is occurring in your relationship with that person. In going along with that, it has been said that dreaming about friends dying represents a distance present in your relationship and a loss of love and other emotions toward that person. Similarly, it expresses your fear about losing them and are concerned with changes in your relationship.

Conversely, It is believed in some cultures that dreaming about the death of friends is a good omen that represents prosperity and longevity. It is also widely believed that it expresses your belief that a new chapter is beginning in life and friendships, with old anxieties and discomforts ending and being laid to rest.

I would like to believe the good things and dismiss the bad things. When dreams are so very vivid and realistic, regardless they are disturbing.

First up in my dreams of destruction was Alia. I have already apologized. What else can you do? This is the only one I can infer sense behind the location and some of the details. Still, so not a fan. The setting was Boston. Apparently we were meeting each other at a spot there. Ironically, and tragically, she somehow was electrocuted when the metro bus was switching from gas to electric power as she was boarding. I was on the bus and saw it happen. It was tragic and not a very awesome dream.

Next up was the great counterpart of TheBlogAlliance...mr AZ. This dream took us back a few years, circa juniorish year of college. The boys were hanging out in Monroe where Andy promised he would meet us. To make a long story short, he never showed. He never showed up back at college as well. A search began and eventually he was found dead, in Matt Quinn's garage loft. It was tragic and not a very awesome dream.

Third up and down was Mary. We were hiking somewhere in mountains. I would guess it was somewhere in California, but somehow it didn't seem so. It was a beautiful day though and life was good. She tripped and stumbled, with her foot falling off of the side of a cliff. I grabbed her and held her, but everytime she tried to regain her footing, part of the cliff fell off and she dangled more and more. I had a good grip on her and finally was able to start pulling her up. It was working......until I got stung in the eye by a bee. I let go and she fell to her death. I also, being very allergic to bee stings in my dreams (who knows about reality), died soon thereafter. It was tragic and not a very awesome dream.

Finally, Chris but the dust. This one was set in the future a bit. Chris was a successful lawyer (which will not be hard to imagine). We were in a cigar bar (though neither of us were smoking cigars) In a fury, the front door was busted down by a group of four hoodlums. They carried guns and sought Chris out. (Apparently Chris had just convicted their brother to a life sentence for killing two high school football stars). I tried to negotiate and talk them down. I got stabbed in the throat. Just before I died, lying on the floor, there were a dozen loud pops. Chris hit the ground dead, as I faded out. It was tragic and not a very awesome dream.

I love my friends and do not wish anything with any negative connotations. My relationships with my friends have been strained by distance, time, and other restraints. Nonetheless, I feel they are still strong. I will chalk all of this, even the comical nature of the bee sting to future prosperity and longevity. New chapters as we have all moved on in our respective lives. Maybe I should make more of an effort.

Regardless, the last two nights, I have dreamed of Lindsay Lohan. If it ever happens again, I will not have to worry about dreams or dying in dreams, because I think death will become a self imposed reality.



P.S. Michigan State is terrible at basketball. Erin Andrews is still yummy!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

state played like scared little middle schoolers. i don't know what that means, but it was a pretty poor display.

if i'm going to die, i'm going out in matt's garage loft. you mark my words.

don't worry about me dying in your dreams. i have always read death in dreams is actually a re-birth. dj hates my counterintuitive arguments, but death often means a renewal. i like that as opposed to the other stuff. i'm just glad i made it into your dreams and i didn't get electrocuted.

chris if you get gunned down, i'll be there in a sec to get you stable and shipped to a trauma center. don't you worry.

Anonymous said...

i'm glad i didn't die. that wouldn't be fun.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for trying to save me! Interesting that even in dreams of others I am still a clutz. I'm scared about the whole being stung by a bee in the eye thing. I hate bees. I would have let me plummet to my death if a bee was pestering me too. :)

Anonymous said...

i hope i went out yelling "avenge me!" cause thats how i see it going down. at least you didnt dream i died in some horrible skiing accident. i wouldnt want to fuck w/ fate.