Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Title Withheld

A little while back, I dedicated a post to Raymar Morgan. I thought the Spartans would make the top 10, after a win over Texas (who is still ranked after two losses) and a strong showing and a shot-clock violation away from having a chance at overtime, or a win, against Maryland. Still, two polls later, the 6-1 Spartans are unranked. I am happy about it though. This proves to the young team that hard work is what it is going to take to make it this year. The Spartans aren't cruising early through the season on reputation alone, as I feel they did for the past few years.

Anyways.....

Today was a short day. I went down to my favorite old Italian restaurant Da Nico this afternoon for some lunch. You know what that means? A short jaunt through Chinatown. Now, I think Chinatown is interesting, and don't get me wrong, but I think it is also the dirtiest and smelliest place on earth. It simply disgusts me. Regardless, I walk into the Italian haven that is Da Nico and realize that this wasn't the Da Nico I remember. The whole place has been remodeled to give it a more upscale and classy decorum. This absolutely pissed me off. Da Nico was one of the most charming (in its own right) and comfortable dining atmospheres I know of. They had signed pictures on the wall of a vast spectrum of celebrities that enjoyed the restaurant.

One of my favorite nights of my life was in Da Nico. This was years and years ago. I met Dan in NYC for a few days. We caught up with Bettina who was living out there, and Mary Ann, who was interning out there. We all, including roomates and friends, went to Da Nico for the most fantabulous dinner. Wine, bruschetta, pasta, port, and best of all tiramisu. Oscar kept us entertained for a good long while. It was the best meal, company included, I have ever had in my life.

Today was much different, because I was alone. The place seemed odd to me. Oscar was still my waiter, but he was not his usual jovial and quirky way. The food was fantastic, and the tiramisu to die for. It just wasn't the same. It made me tremendously miss old friends and old times.

Now I am full, and ready for a nap.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

your post makes me miss new york and little italy in particular. i haven't been there in almost 5 years.

JC said...

I missed it a lot too. It has been some time since I have been here. I have had some good times the handful of times that I went.

Little Italy (heritage aside because it doesn't apply to me) is incredible. It is well worth the hell (Chinatown) that you walk through to get there. You are on one street corner, with fish out in the open air and peking ducks hanging, to the next, with the smell of fresh canoli wafting through the air. The AZ has never been. I think we should all plan a little field trip there.

Anonymous said...

i agree with the whole walking through chinatown to get to little italy... it's worth the walk and it's pretty entertaining at times too (at least the one time i was there). i want to go back too. it's a fun getaway vacation.