Wednesday, November 22, 2006

Already? Thanksgiving Eve is Here

It all depends, on your small group of friends.

Yesterday PBS and the New York Times discussed a new study released in the Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA) concerning herniated disks. I have not read the study, but from what I gathered from the two news sources it concluded both medical and surgical management are equally effective means of treatment and an informed patient should choose the type of treatment they would prefer for a herniation of the nucleus propulsus impinging on a nerve root. I’m a medicine guy and would promote non-surgical interventions until conservative management has failed. However, surgery can be very effective in the presence of a radicular pain pattern as well.

I was happy PBS reported roughly one out of four people imaged with MRI will have a herniated disk. Only a small portion of those disks are symptomatic though.

Similarly, roughly 25% of the population will have a patent foramen ovale (PFO). The PFO is retained from the embryological development of the circulatory system, which is vastly different during fetal gestation. PFO’s will cause a holosystolic heart murmur and most generally dissipate during life, but a small portion can progress to a right-to-left shunt and emboli can be thrown into the cerebral circulation causing a cryptogenic stroke. Those patients need surgery to close the PFO.

Enough medicine. It’s Thanksgiving Eve. Fun times. A lot has changed over the last year; some tragic events intertwined with wonderful occasions. It will be nice to see everyone tonight and I know it will be fun.

The Pistons are playing better basketball. That’s nice to see.

My cousin brought up a great point when we were eating dinner on Sunday. He said he thinks individuals who bombard us with their crap advertisements should run “thank you for voting” spots after the election. That may be too classy for a politician, but it’s a very good idea.

I’ve never seen or read a Harry Potter book. Does that mean I’m less of an American? Maybe, but it really means I’ll be awful at Harry Potter Scene It.

What is the Seether? I believe Veruca Salt was the sexiest female band of the nineties.

Oh yeah, the Seether is Louise.

Tom Izzo as a football coach? Thank god that was just a misunderstanding from a rumor.

I hope everyone has an outstanding Thanksgiving and enjoys the time with friends and family.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Two posts in one day. The alliance is alive and kicking...except for the asshole who left it for no particular reason.

Tell JAMA (pronounced jam-uh) that I opted for surgery. I didn't know I had a choice. Plus it hurt pretty damn bad anyway, so I would have probably chosen surgery even if given an option.

Ah, Thanksgiving Eve. Even though I'm generally an observer, I'll miss the shenanigans that will soon transpire. Just make sure nobody gets arrested...or killed.

Never seeing or reading "Harry Potter" doesn't make you less American. It does however make you an adult and not British. Apparently I'm a Limey child because I've seen the first two movies. Never read them though.

Veruca Salt played out here last weekend. I didn't go though because a) they're 10 years older, and b) Louise is the only original member still in the band.

Thank God you don't know your ass from a hole in the ground and T to the Izzo isn't going to be the next football coach. You had me worried.

Have fun tonight. Be safe. I'll miss y'all.

Anonymous said...

i miss you. happy thanksgiving man. expect a call tonight and tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

have fun in M-Town tonight... one of these years I hope to make it down. Can't wait for the stories!