Friday, November 10, 2006

Gosh Darn Mother Effing Tigers

The Detroit Tigers' front office is more eager than a seventeen year old boy on prom night.

Yes, an offensive threat was on top of the list of needs. Gary Sheffield, unfortunately for Tigers fans, was not. Excuse me if I am being harsh, but don't we already have one over-the-hill, post-steroid failure on our team in Pudge Rodriguez? Let's add another to the lineup and watch the steady decline of Sheffield's numbers as well.

Dave Dombrowski should have waited a bit and thought this through. You got to the World Series with fine young pitching. So, instead of spending money, you give away three young minor league prospects. I will admit that I do not know a lot about Kevin Whelan and Anthony Claggett. I do know that Humberto Sanchez was touted by many as the next big thing in Detroit pitching. I would have liked to see that come to fruition. If we were in the market for a big bat who thought he could still play outfield, we should have fancied the idea of Barry Bonds as a Tiger.

The only way that we make this right is by going out and paying cash, yes cash, for another big time player to fill the gaps. Since we are going to throw away part of our pitching future out the door for an old and declining former superstar, something more needs to happen. My number one dream scenario, that will keep me in Michigan for years to come would be the acquisition of Alfonso Soriano. If this happened, I would go out and buy an Alfonso Soriano jersey and wear it to bed every night. I would also buy an Alfonso Soriano doll and tuck him into bed next to me every day. Ha, certainly this would quash the whole girlfriend thing, but honestly, I wouldn't care.

Alfonso Soriano is one of the most talented hitters in the game. He can be a little streaky, but that does not damper the overall upside of the star. He gets a solid A on base running and stealing bases. That is something the Tigers desperately need as well. He is a career .280 hitter with 208 homers and 560 RBI through 6 full seasons. this included 46 homers last and 95 RBI. He can play solid second base and solid outfield for you. A versitile hitter = complete package.

So, to the Detroit Tigers, I urge you to spend some cash, in addition to dealing prospects and really go for the gold this off-season. You have the core of an excellent team left. You need to enhance it. Please do it. I went to 11 games this year. I spent a lot of money on concessions, parking, and tickets. Use some of this revenue to fund a player who could possibly put us over the top and catapult the Tigers to a championship. Please.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

i guess i didn't make a comment. sorry. i am batting
.ooo. i got the tk thing wrong last night and this.

i know you love soriano. i wouldn't sleep with him or anything, but if he batted left-handed i'd cozy up with him on a cold winter day.

Anonymous said...

I think the reasoning behind the trade was that Detroit has plenty of young pitching. The rotation consists of some combination of Kenny Rogers (although he's old, he's the only one over 30), Mike Maroth, Nate Robertson, Jeremy Bonderman, Justin Verlander, and Zach Miner. On top of that, they have a couple potential starters in Andrew Miller (last year's first rounder) and Jordan Tata. I would rather have got Soriano than Sheffield, but you can't have everything... I also don't think Sheffield is a product of steroids. He hasn't bulked up as much as others (McGwire, Bonds, Sosa), and he relies more on quick wrists than brute strength.