Monday, October 02, 2006

I am back.


I had a great week in Boston. The food was good, the drinks were good, public transportation was good. Most of all, seeing Rachelle was amazing!

Now, a lot happened here, mainly in the sports world that I am kind of glad thatI missed. Oh MSU. Why do you do this so? I couldn't believe it when I saw that MSU lost its homecoming to, none other than.....Illinois. Illinois is the worst team in the Big Ten for the last four years or so. MSU, after dropping a heartbreaker to Notre Dame, which I am still not ready to talk about, goes and loses at home to Illinois. I think it is time for a new coach. Maybe one who can motivate the players?

The Detroit Tigers, who haven't been out of first place since Mid-May, needed to win one game of a four game series against the, none other than, Kansas City Royals. The royals went into the series with 58 wins. The Tigers have slumped the second half of the season, but I am amazed that it came down to this. The one win in the series had major implications. Either host Oakland for the first round of the playoffs, or travel to New York. Apparently the Tigers wanted to go to New York. Their season is over, and although they had a good regular season, they could not make it happen in the end. Here is to next year boys.

The Detroi Lions. Look better offensively. It doesn't matter if you give up 41.

I am back in town for a couple of weeks before I get to escape the chilling temperatures for Texas again. I am looking forward to some warmth.

Boston has cemented itself at the top of my list of favorite cities, I digressed. When the winter is over, I can not wait to go back.

Here is to the start of another work week. (I keep making toasts to myself with OJ).

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm glad you're back and i'm glad things went well with rachelle. we shall watch msu this weekend. good times...except state always breaks my heart.

the tigers made me sad. it's really not fair that they didn't win the central. i thought it would be too much to make such a big comeback for the twins and they would run out of energy at the end. looks like the tigers ran out of energy staying on top. at one point they were 75-35. oh well, at least we're in the playoffs.

so it's a good thing the lions got rid of the turn-over prone, can't win games, joey harrington. i mean the 17 points off of kitna's two interceptions and a fumble certainly didn't make a difference in the game.

so when we going to boston?

JC said...

We shall go to Boston whenever you would like to go.

I guess you are right about Joey Harrington. He definately looks much better as a back-up for a 1-3 Miami team than the starter of an 0-4 Lions team.

Anonymous said...

everyone loves the back-up quarterback. not sure if he knows how to handle people rooting for him...

my main point is the lions are a joke and i am 12 games closer to my wish. a 0-16 team.

Anonymous said...

all the teams i give a shit about have been painful to watch lately. however, i finally kept a promise to myself and did not watch one second of the lions game.

jon is right boston is sweet, but i am way too poor to enjoy it on a long term basis.

Anonymous said...

I can only handle cheering for so many losing teams. You'd think after all this time I'd be used to it. I gave up on the Lions, but I'm still hanging in there for MSU and the Tigers.

I think it's time for John L to go. He hasn't beat Michigan or Ohio State in his years at MSU. Assuming he keeps up that tradition, we will have lost 4 straight games after starting 3-0. In which case, I say fire him mid-season.

Oh and I loved the law you guys wrote. I'm only 7 weeks into law school, and Chris I'm sure you would know better than me, but I'm sure it would definitely be upheld in court.

Anonymous said...

i can understand the can the clown movement, but consider these three points.

1. he was a great recruiting class for 2007 and 2008
2. do you want to wait four or five years for another coach to fail
3. nick satan was a coach whose teams tanked in the fourth quarter and was 6-5 in his first four seasons, losing in all the bowl games...badly. 38-0 to stanford! then in his fifth year with some seniors and a couple of impact freshman...bam! 9-2.

give jackass a fifth year, but tell him to retool his coordinators. smeland has to go. baldwin too. if he won't capitulate to that kick his ass outta here. and if he is 3-4 then can him. time to start over.

Anonymous said...

at least nick satan got us to bowl games, even if he lost them

JC said...

Ouch. You went from high hopes and dreams to blind optimism. I am not a huge fan.

Granted, Smith has great recruiting classes for the next two year. With play like this, these kids are already second guessing the decisions that they have made. In fact, I am sure there are some young players on the team currently who are looking elsewhere.

Giving Smith a few more seasons just because you think another coach will eventually fail is not valid job security.

You also can't base Smith's potential for righting the ship on Saban's success after his many failures.

I agree that Smith may not be the only problem. It is a systemic problem. Yes making changes with coordinators may help, but Smith should not be off of the hook. He pulls the stings on a lot of bad decisions. Obviously his lax ideology on focus and discipline are major lowlights. I can't seem to find any highlights. Maybe I am just at a loss right now.

Given the strong potential recruiting classes, you need to find an available coach out there who is respected, even if it means throwing some money at a bigger name. Recruits will most likely see what was going on with Smith and the direction that the program was falling in. They will respect the program's decision and dedication to righting the direction of the program. If the coach is respectable and exciting, they will be anxious to begin a new era of Spartan football, rather than be a part of a terrible one.

Anonymous said...

all better points than mine

JC said...

Not really.

Anonymous said...

I can't stop eating!!!

Anonymous said...

i wish i could eat. when i do, i eat okay, like lunch today. but, i'm nauseous most of the day. i threw up on the way home from work. it's odd. i hope lose some weight from this.

Anonymous said...

I hope you check yourself into an eating disorder clinic.

JC said...

You should date Nicole Ritchie.

Anonymous said...

maybe i should date an eating disorder clinic....

no i shouldn't