Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Code Blue! God Made My Tires Flat

What can I say that you can’t say better? What can I tell you?

The Alliance seems to have had a casualty. Perhaps EKG had an EKG and he was in V Fib or PEA. Was he a DNR and thus did not get shocked at 360 J? I know EKG is out there so I’m pretty sure he’s okay.

Speaking of codes, the New York Times had an interesting story discussing how successful cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) is in the hospital. The article noted most individuals who have CPR on TV survive. Not true in real life. The separate article I just read concerning anoxic brain injury reported only a 44% success rate during initial CPR and less than 10% of patients who receive CPR are alive at six weeks.

Michigan State 34, The Ohio State 31.

I don’t worship the devil, but I do agree with a lot of the things he tells me.

Over lunch the last two days, another fourth year medical student has been arguing the existence of God to anyone who will listen. Interestingly he was an Arabic atheist until recently when he converted to Christianity. His logic behind why God exists is based on this: say there are three dominos lined up and I push the first over, then the second falls then the third. What made the third domino fall? The second. What made the second domino fall? The first. What made the first fall? The dominos cannot figure this out because dominos cannot understand a human. I was sick of hearing this bologna and I told him dominos do not have the cognitive ability to think, being an inanimate object, and therefore, would not even know they had been knocked down. I’ve argued it before and I will continue to argue this: there is no point in proving the existence of God because what is the point of faith? Moreover, while I’m eating I just want to think about how good food is. I had not been eating much before this week.

I had four tires full of air when I left Detroit yesterday. When I got ready to go to a neurology dinner, I only had two. How the hell did two of my tires go flat? I blame God, because I just cannot understand how that could happen.

I wish I had a tail. My cat chases his tail and it looks like he is having fun.

I want to see The Departed. Has anyone seen it yet? Is it good? Does this car have four-wheel drive?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

To think, all this time I've been blaming God for everything and I should have been blaming Dominos.

JC said...

I chocked on a domino once. The weird thing is that I was sleeping. When I awoke, I was gasping for air. I spat something from my throat. Low and behold, it was a domino.

Inanimate objects my ass.

The devil speaks to me daily. I sent him my Verizon bill.

Anonymous said...

It's difficult if not impossible to prove the existence of G-d using logic, since G-d himself would have laid the groundwork for all logic, or at least the brain function required to develop a thought system that we refer to as logic. whether or not logic is even "logical," is and always will be, as far as I'm concerned, still up in the air.

Even if you agree with that, you are left with a few options:

1. you can look around and say just from observation: just like this computer I'm using clearly implies a creator, since it would be silly to assume that it just fell together like that*, the much more complex universe and humans within it, imply a creator. G-d (or your semantic equivalent) is simply axiomatic.

*even if it did just fall together like that, what created the mechanism/force that caused it to "fall." what allowed it to remain intact.

2. I can keep thinking of questions that go further and further back until I get stuck. we end up with a big WHY, WHAT, WHO, or WHERE? Where did this all come from and why? Science or logic can't explain it because they are part of it. To my body, my fully functioning finger implies an arm, but it does not necessarily imply a mother and father.

I have no way of knowing that a creator exists.

3. god does not exit....I'm not really sure how to reconcile this because this option seems irrational to me. Of all the stances you can have on G-d, this is the most arrogant and hidebound. You are essentially claiming that you have investigated all possible scenarios and sources for our existence, and you have solved the puzzle. You know that there is no G-d. We are all just matter that came from nowhere and our ability to reason and question the existence of a god, is simply derived from a biological process designed (well not designed...that would imply a designer...how about "in place,") to develop our survival skills. That, to me, is the epitome of baseless arrogance.

4. other. this is what makes our world so interesting.

note: It's not so much faith I am striving for...I need reasons for everything. I like to know why. That's why this topic is frustrating for me. I can't even sort my own dull life out, let alone achieving a reasonable understanding of human existence.

sorry, that was way too serious for my taste.

Andy, you cannot blame God for your flat tires. I saw them a couple weeks ago. If I were your tires, I would refuse to hold any amount of air for any period of time. God is not going to put new tires on your car for you...you need to.

I talk to Satan regularly. We have an odd relationship. sometimes like Lavern and Shirley, sometimes like Wiley Coyote and the Roadrunner. he is somewhat of a pest. I don't know how you tune him out lommerse, but kudos for that.

I have overstayed my welcome. sorry.

JC said...

Housekeeping......You need clean towels?

Anonymous said...

my tires were pissed at me, but what gave them the emotion to be pissed at me? their amygdala. but where did that originate? i don't care. i know the tires were my fault and they are being taken care of this weekend. i figured i'd blame him/her because i'm lame.

ekg has a busy life apparently.

jon, i'm so sorry about the dominos. if you want i will kick every dominos right in their white dots. i'm sure that would be painful if they could sense pain.

thanks for addressing my random thoughts...which are pretty stupid

Anonymous said...

thanks for giving me a reason to avoid working, and ramble pointlessly.

Anonymous said...

while you guys are on the topic of random thoughts i'll throw one out there too. i'm sick of all the music on my ipod, and you guys are all music lovers, so i wonder what you recommend.

i guess that's more a random question than a random thought. but i really would like some suggestions.

Anonymous said...

emily, click on my name and you might find some ideas there. or then again you might get motion sickness. you'll probably want to go to the old playlist (link near the top).