Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Radiation Vacation, Snakes, Cigars and Morality

Get out my eye teardrop; I gotta see my way around.

If anyone knows who sang that, I’ll give you some sort of reward. I have been starting these posts with a lyric from whatever song is playing on my ITunes while I write.

Yeah, I’m posting on Tuesday because I have the day off and I’m bored of reading, scheduling rotations and paying bills. I wish I had my radiation vacation (or radi-holiday) when Dave was in town, I could have done a lot more. Anyhoo, sorry for any inconvenience. There really shouldn’t be any though.

So I looked up what snakes mean in dreams. First of all, recurring dreams apparently are a sign of unresolved issues and snakes, particularly when they bite you, are a sign of resolution or moving on. Really? That seems about right and if this is the case, which it isn’t, my unresolved issues should have some resolution and maybe everything will be coming up Milhouse, which it won’t be.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, Sigmund Freud.

I was watching The Fugitive on Sunday and one of the story lines in the plot concerns a new drug called, Provasic, or the RDU-90 protocol, and whether or not it is hepatotoxic (toxic to the liver). As Richard Kimble, a vascular surgeon stated, “[This drug] will clean out those arteries boys, and put us out of business.” The Fugitive was released in 1993 and shortly thereafter a new class of drugs “statins” were approved, which coincidently lowered cholesterol, i.e., “cleaned out those arteries”, and also were known to elevate liver enzymes and cause some form of hepatotoxicity. I wonder if there were any real life vascular surgeons that actually had their wife murdered in order for atorvastatin (Lipitor) to be released and the hepatotoxic adverse reactions concealed? Probably not.

Son of a banji Banek! Run the right hole!

I had an interesting run yesterday. A man from a black pick-up truck yelled, “Go back to China.” I yelled, “Fuck you, you fucking douche.” Then I thought, “I’ve never been to China. That’s a weird thing to say.” Then one of those military helicopters looked like it was flying right at me. It was really low and had two blades, like the one Dusty used to fly in GI Joe. I thought it might shoot at me. It didn’t. I guess my run really wasn’t all that interesting.

If I ran the same distance I ran yesterday in a straight line from my apartment I would be 4.5 miles into Canada. I only live 2.45 miles from the Canadian border. I didn’t really know that. Also, if I had run in a straight line from my place I would have run across water, which only one other person I have heard of has been able to do that.

Some biologist from Harvard has proposed a theory that explains morality is an evolutionary trait and one’s decision making in right vs. wrong is done quickly via the subconscious. Then afterward a rationalization is made about why one chose that decision. This seems to combine strict scientific thought, evolution and DNA, with a more spiritual entity, the soul and the subconscious. Are scientists allowed to do that?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

get out my life woman

someone has to know who sang that, so does that mean that anyone who reads your blog gets a prize? oh, shut up me.

you totally inconvenienced me my posting this on a tuesday. forgive me if i never forgive you for that, but you have sent my life into a downward spiral.

running is for Chinamen.

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry about putting your life into a nine inch nails album. i've been in that downward spiral...it sucks. perhaps, i will write another one for tomorrow. i'm crazy, so i have lots of crazy thoughts.

right after i posted this, i thought i should have said, anyone, save jacob, since you introduced me to the great lee dorsey. very good song.

whoa, chinamen is not the proper nomenclature. asian american dude. i never thought i'd get to use that big lebowski quote with such relevence. but yes, running is for chinamen

Anonymous said...

Yes, it never fails to amaze me how close i live to the border of another major country. Now if you only lived 2.4 miles from China, that comment to you would have made a heap more sense.

Anonymous said...

it is pretty cool how close we live to another country. and if it was china it would make a lot more sense. it seems like everyone always wants to say something when they drive by and see someone running. it's silly.

thanks for the comment.

Anonymous said...

if it's once i've got it...if it's twice i don't


i like this starting everything with a line from the current song playing. it makes things more fun. if anyone (save morgan) knows the above i'll give you a prize as well.

by the way, i for one am inconvenienced due to the fact that you did not have your radi-holiday when i was around and we didn't run 2.45 miles to Canada. that's probably because i can't even run .45 miles, let alone the requisite 2 prior to that.

Anonymous said...

yes, the radi-holliday should have been last month. i tried really really hard for it, but they wouldn't let me do it. they = the medical education board. i'm very sorry for the inconvenience. but you had two visitors this last week. that had to be nice.

i like the song thing too. it's kinda fun. i have no idea what song that is that you quoted. well done sir.

Anonymous said...

roll me over, I wanna wave at the kids

morgan introduced me to that band on September 11th 2001 at the blind pig.

Anonymous said...

jacob's probably the smartest music person i know.

Anonymous said...

i agree. jacob is a music master, only faster.

Anonymous said...

pain, more pain, but I laughed so much louder...

My ever growing music collection and I spend a lot of time together(and it will never leave me), plus I am surrounded by friends and family that have great taste in music. Now if only I could become fluent in a hobby with some practicality or sense of accomplishment, like MAKING music or wooing the ladies. oh well.

what's with the use of the word "save" in that context? I feel like I'm reading an Ayn Rand novel...I like it.

Good news: I'm out of the downward spiral. I am now free falling into a pit of despair.

Anonymous said...

dude the pit of despair is no where to live. it's not even a nice place to visit. i suggest you return to the downward spiral. i would like to try to get back to that place. less despair equals more repair. i don't know what the hell that means.