Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Anybody Catch Game 2 of the World Series?

I am just curious, because I can't sleep. I keep reading stuff about this big huge controversy surrounding Kenny Rogers. It seems like there was something on his hand. This something has been showin in photographs to be on his hand in past rounds of the playoffs.

Now, I have already read some different theories surrounding this something that strikingly resembles pine tar on Mr. Rogers hand. They include his black underbilled hat, which is an illegal deviance from the standard uniform. This would provide an easy spot to place a substance on to hide it. Obviously hiding it is not a concern, so....next. There is also the theory from the horse's mouth. It was a combination of dirt, spit, and rosin, from rubbing the balls pre-game. A clump of this "mud" was stuck on his hand. I'm not buying that one either. A friend at work said that he figured Rogers ate some bad Chinese the night before. With all of the excitement of Comerica Park, and the gurgling of his stomach, he had a little accident. I just don't know. I also don't care. After the controversy was washed away after the bottom of the 1st, Mr. Rogers went on to pitch seven more scoreless innings, bringing his total to 23 in a row.

Of everyone else's take on this "sticky" situation, I liked Tigers first base coach Andy Van Slyke's take on it the best (as reported by ESPN's Jayson Stark):

"You know, he has a terrible habit," Tigers coach Andy Van Slyke reported, "of eating Tootsie Rolls. And he happened to sit next to a heater."

Right. That was probably it. And there are undoubtedly other possibilities, too. Like, well, chocolate cake. Tigers closer Todd Jones tossed that one out there Sunday night.

"No," Van Slyke said, in instant denial mode. "You can't bring cake on the bench. You've got to eat something with a wrapper on it."

All right. How about soup? That's about the same color as Rogers' hand.

"Nope," Van Slyke said. "No utensils allowed on the bench. But if we were playing in Japan, it might have been wasabi."

OK, so if this were the Japan tour, we might be on to something. But since this is the World Series, that's out.

So was there any chance, us media madmen persisted, that it might have been pine tar? And Van Slyke was just about the perfect person to ask, too, since he was seen in the dugout in what appeared to be a long, between-innings chat with Rogers after the first inning Sunday.

But in truth, "I wasn't involved in the conversation," Van Slyke quipped. "Just, when I shook Kenny's hand, it took me 30 seconds to get unstuck."


It just proves that there is always something to be made of nothing. I know how many Cardinal fans view this mini-scandal, but the fact of the matter is, the first inning was the worst one that Rogers pitched last night. With cleaned up hands, he dominated even more. The real question is, how can I have that much enthusiasm and be so pumped when I am going on 42? They should check his blood.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I believe Peter Gammons or maybe it was Dusty Baker said it best... "If the Cardinal's don't care, why should we?"

Too True.

Anonymous said...

umm...game three is about to start and I can't tell if I'm watching baseball or CSI Detroit. when are they going to shut up?

Anonymous said...

screw you hippy.