Friday, May 05, 2006

Happy Cinco de Mayo!!

Ahh, Cinco de Mayo. One of the most under-rated American holidays ever. Wha wha wha what?????? JC, Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of Mexican independence. That is what everyoe will tell me my friends. Everyone is right, technically.

I have been celebrating Cinco de Mayo ever since college began. It was a great excuse to drink Corona (at the time) before I discovered the splendor that is Pacifico. My fondest memory was in my Junior year, showing up at Charles St. with two cases of Coronas. I think it was like 11:00 in the morning. I can not recall.

Afer a year of living in Dallas, which is a hell of a lot closer to Mexico than Michigan is, I have learned a lot about it. I have had to endure endless commentary, reports, and protest coverage of all of the new immigration bills. I had to watch endless news coverage of all of the kids skipping school in Dallas to march to city hall in protest of policy against illegal immigrants. It was ridicuolous, not in principle, but in execution. You had thousands of jack-ass kids who had no idea what was going on running around to skip school, carrying Mexican flags. It was odd and...well just odd.

It is in the spirit of that, that I will call Cinco de Mayo a great American holiday. If I pissed you off or offended you, please let me know, so I can arrange time for you to come and kiss my ass. Just kidding. I will buy a finely crafted Pacifico to anyone who has a problem with my dry sense of humor. Thank God no one reads this!!

Celebrate responsibly, but most importantly celebrate. Afterall, America is the new Mexico. (But not New Mexico)


EDIT: And the best Cinco de Mayo drunken text message goes to............DV - "Pirate mode drunk. Got to celebrate my Mexican roots. Booyah!" 3:15AM - Central.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was trying to start my celebration as early as possible. I had a good feeling that due to immigration laws the holiday might be suffer a boycott. Not going to happen under my watch!

dan-

Anonymous said...

Remeber all the fruit flies in the kitchen after drinking all those Corona's. Ah, the good ol' days.