Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Procrastination and Pacing

I need a fix because I’m going down, down to the bits I left uptown. I need a fix because I’m going down. Mother Superior jump the gun.

Jeans are expensive, but I needed a new pair.

“I ain’t looking down cuz I don’t c nobody abuv me!” was the name of a young man on myspace.com. You see some whore named Lucy asked me to be her friend. I clicked on it just to confirm her whoreness. Sure enough I was right. But this young man’s name makes no sense. Why would looking down confirm there was no one above you? If it were a spelling contest I’m pretty sure there would be a class of second graders above him, because it’s not hard to spell “see” or “above.”

Part of me feels as if ole Scooter Libby was used as a scapegoat for an administration drenched in dirty politics and the ambition of absolute power. Libby has a large enough name to make big headlines, but he is no Karl “the Devil” Rove. He could face roughly 20 years in prison however, that sentence is unlikely. So the lesson is don’t lie…or don’t lie to the press…or don’t be a douche bag.

I was reading a blog on NYTimes.com by John Tierney, for whom I don’t care too much, concerning whether Baby Boomers are whiners or really have several medical issues that impact their life in a deleterious fashion. I would discuss this, but it would be too long and would eventually go back into my sensitivity v. specificity argument (see the post no one read and rightfully so, on 1/11/07). However, as I was reading this I came across a quiz to see if one is a procrastinator. I clicked on it to see how I would rate on the procrastination scale. I went through the first fifteen questions and then saw there were still ten more pages. I said, “Fuck this. I have to shower, make dinner, clean Ozkar’s litter, read, make some phone calls and go to bed. I don’t have time for this.” I think that is more telling of my procrastination than taking the quiz. Here’s the link if you’re interested though: http://webapps2.ucalgary.ca/~steel//Procrastinus/

From 1.30-2.30 Monday morning I was “pimped” (the Cardiology Fellow on-call asked me several questions) concerning various cardiology issues. He was very cool and I really appreciate his teaching. I just wish I were smarter. Here was one set of questions:
Cardiology Fellow: So what is a normal QRS? What does that mean?
Me: It is less than 120 milliseconds and it is the ventricular depolarization.
Cardiology Fellow: So what does VT mean?
Me: There is ectopic pacing in the ventricles.
Cardiology Fellow: So how does it turn into a wide complex?
Me: Ummm…
Cardiology Fellow: Is it RV paced V Tach or LV? How can you tell?
Me: Ummm…
Cardiology Fellow: What if we paced this man? How could you tell a RV pacing v. a BiV pacing?
Me: Ummm…
Cardiology Fellow: Is a LV pacemaker in the ventricle?
Me: Yes…I mean no…Ummm…I’m not smart.

I’m not too smart, but I know those answers now. Anybody want to know them, because I can totally explain them now?

There have only been a handful of Michigan State basketball recruits who have really had me excited. Raymar Morgan was the most recent until Kalin Lucas. This kid dropped 21 of his 37 points in the second half of the PSL and Catholic League “Operation Friendship” game. (I know it’s a stupid name.) The Catholic league team has only won four times in the last 31 years and Lucas’ effort in the second half lead his team to the victory. He also had MSU shaved into the back of his head. As silly as that is it is way better than what Brent Pettway did the other day.

USAToday.com changed their web-page format. I like it.

No comments: