Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Mix It Up

The Mix is a dying art form. It has been replaced by iPod shuffle and internet radio. Not to mention the glut of posers who have been filling Memorex CDs with 78 minutes of schlock and crap for the last ten years.

The true Mix as an expression of angst, love, or depression (the holy trinity of counterculture youthdom) is now but a memory.

It has been lost in a sea of haphazardly thrown together mixes with current Top 40 garbage, whiny emo, and (worst of all) modern country (the holy trinity of crap).

Lookie here, Cookie, your break up soundtrack featuring Matchbox 20, The Get Up Kids, and Toby Keith took about as much thought and creativity as my last bowel movement.

Please leave this to professionals. That's why I've started a list of acceptable mixers. Anyone not on this list should avoid disseminating any and all mixes until otherwise directed by me. Trust me, this is going to save everyone a lot of headaches.

The list is limited to:

Jacob Longton (Henceforth known as the King of the Mix)
DJ Freese (The Duke, the kickass Duke)
Jack White
Jay Ferguson

If you feel that your name has been left off this list by mistake maybe you should reconsider your interest in Dashboard Confessional or, perhaps, Def Leppard.

Thank you.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

i even quoted high fidelity in a previous post about pop songs.

you've insulted me again. first grandma's boy and now this obvious slight.

are you really trying to hurt me?

Anonymous said...

First, calm down. Take a deep breath, relax.

Your heart is in the right place, but you lack consistency.

I did, however, leave off two names.

Jason and Sarah Barthlow took the Mix to new heights with their inspired and eclectic limited edition mix, "'Til Rock Do Us Part."

Bravo.

Anonymous said...

ahhhh!!!! inconsistent?!?! erroneus! erroneus!

and don't hate itunes/ipod for being totally rad.

currently i'm listening to de la soul. should i take them off my mix? no. they rule.

piss on you.

till rock do us part is pretty sweet.

Anonymous said...

de la soul is welcome on a mix, provided you pick the right song and it fits the mood.

Anonymous said...

the new cds i've made are called:

fuck dj, vol. 1
fuck dj, vol. 2

if anyone would like a copy feel free to ask. they're free and i'd be more than happy to make you a copy.

JC said...

I would love a copy.....maybe two copies. I might play them so much that the first ones would wear out. I love your mixes.

Anonymous said...

thanks jon. ask and you shall receive. you'd like these mixes too. one has a local h cover of toxic. totally sweet.

Anonymous said...

I'll take a copy.

Anonymous said...

wow! king of the mix? henceforth? you've inspired me to create a new mix. i think i'll call is "who puked up the psychedelic casserole?"

AZ should be on the list. His only problem is that he doesn't leave his mixes in peoples cars and at their houses often enough. That's the key: Get the mix out inconspicuously. Other than that, they are grade A blends.

I too would like a copy of the fuck dj cd's.

Anonymous said...

Can I have a mix too? Since I'll see you today maybe you can make a copy before you go home. Instant gratification rulz.

Anonymous said...

So very nonchalant, AZ left both "fuck dj" volumes over my house this weekend. Way to get that mix out inconspicuously!

Anonymous said...

I listened to both discs on my drive back from Monroe yesterday, and I have to say they are pretty darn good! (And I'm not just saying it because Andy is my brother and DJ is mean).