Monday, March 27, 2006

I'm Reading Don't Kill Yourself Books...

There are those rare moments in life when one has an epiphany or realization. I didn’t have one of those, but I feel like an entity, a greater being or spiritual nexus is telling me something.

The last five songs played in my car (the CD player was on random) were: 1. Nothing Lasts Forever Anymore by Sloan; 2. Before You Leave by Thrush Hermit; 3. Paper Knives by Dave Carducci; 4. She is a Holy Grail by Superdrag; and finally, 5. Something in the Way by Nirvana.

The last five songs played on my ITunes (again on random) were: 1. You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away by the Beatles; 2. Cry Baby Cry by the Beatles; 3. Sick of Myself by Matthew Sweet; 4. Pine Away by Superdrag; and finally, 5. Don’t Come Running to Me by the Greenhornes.

What is the erethral being trying to tell me with these depressing songs? It’s spring, love is supposed to be in the air and if not love at least lust. Why are the “random gods” giving me songs about heartache, when they should be giving me happy songs about love and the future?

But then I realized there is no such thing as ITunes gods or 2003 Saturn Ion CD randomizer gods; rather pop music (my favorite music) is inherently depressing. Then I also remembered my favorite quote from High Fidelity.

What came first, the music or the misery? People worry about kids playing with guns, or watching violent videos, that some sort of culture of violence will take them over. Nobody worries about kids listening to thousands, literally thousands of songs about heartbreak, rejection, pain, misery and loss. Did I listen to pop music because I was miserable? Or was I miserable because I listened to pop music?

Good f**king question. Anyone have the answer?

3 comments:

JC said...

I have an answer. I agree with depressing music. It gives sad people things to relate to. It makes us feel like we are not the only ones who hurt. What a nice coping mechanism.

Except...They are so overbearing and plentiful, it twists reality and society into believeing that these feelings are routine.

The fact of the matter is that randomizing songs is going to make you feel like shit. I know, because sometimes I do it. You have to outsmart the Saturn and the iTunes and play God yourself. Motha Fuckas Forgot About Dre.

Anonymous said...

thank you. from now on i shall be god...in a lesser form who swears more.

Anonymous said...

god, what time are you coming tonight?

i might go to the council meeting.