Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Top Ten Lists are for people who lack organizational skills

'Spring Shark Attack' is on ABC Family as I type, and 'Snakes on a Plane' is weeks away. So, in the spirit of intentionally bad movies, I have decided to post my top 5 favorite unintentionally bad movies.

particular order In no.

1. Zapped

Oh yeah, this movie is terrible, and-I hasten to add- I have only seen it once in my life, nearly twenty years ago. I'm not really even sure what it's about.

This piece of cinematic history is important for two reasons. It was the first pairing of Willy Aames and Scott Baio, AND in the obligatory prom/ formal dance scene we are privy to massive amounts of boobage. I realize that sounds childish, but to an 8 year old boy, it's a memory in the making.

2. Ghostbusters 2

But DJ I like that movie! I feel ya dog. I love it, but that doesn't make it good. It's contrived and unnecessary and far less than the original.

In what amounts to a 90 minute commercial for the cottage industry created by the first film, 'Ghostbusters 2' feels wrong. Despite a strong supporting performance by eventual Emmy winner Peter MacNicol (Dr. Janosz Poha), it is obvious that this film was made to sell action figures and hype an ill advised cartoon.

Still, I laugh every time I watch it.

3 Back to the Future Part 2

Another sequel. While this one is admittedly better than 'Ghostbusters 2', it still presents its own problems. Unlike the second film on our list which rarely mentions the events of the original film (aside from brief allusions to events which occurred in the time between the two films which were caused by events in the first) 'Back to the Future Part 2' drags the first film into its mess of product placement and confusing logic from beginning to end. It's really shameful to tell you the truth.

The thing is, hoverboards are cool, and Robert Zemeckis' vision of the future, however unnecessary, is refreshingly hopeful and bright. Still, this movie should not have been made... Even though I love it.

4. Dream A Little Dream

You might not remember this gem from the Coreys (Haim and Feldman), but it's actually pretty good. It was on HBO everyday for five months straight when I was 10. The plot borrows from the 80's craze of body exchange films. In this case Feldman switches bodies with his cranky old neighbor played by Jason Robards (or is it Robard? What ever.).

In one scene Feldman attempts to win over a girl by singing Michael Jackson's "You Really Turn Me On" while dancing in an empty high school gym. Brilliant.

Best line in the movie: (spoken by the token A-hole) "It's a party! Who brought the chips?"

5. Some Kind Of Wonderful

Like 'Dream A Little Dream' this is a movie familiar to anyone who subscribed to any pay channel in the early 90's. It's got Eric Stoltz as a lovelorn high school loser who spends all of his college money to buy a ring for his crush played by Lea Thompson sometime after 'Howard the Duck' but before 'Caroline in the City'. She's hot in this movie. I'm talking 'Space Camp' hot. Not hot in this movie? Mary Stuart "Boy Jaw" Masterson. Of course he's really in love with her, so he ends up leaving Lorraine McFly for her and they live uglily ever after.

John Ashton, Taggart from 'Beverly Hills Cop', plays Stoltz's gruff but ultimately understanding father, and a pre-'Full House' Candace Cameron plays Stoltz's annoying little sister.

This movie is terrible, but I think I've seen it a few million times...



That's it. Now you can all go ahead and disagree with me.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

dude, back to the future 2 makes it and you told me indiana jones and the temple of doom was good. your logic is faulty.

i can think of several movies that aren't on there that should be over those two.

caddyshack 2, speed 2, scream 2, showgirls, wild things, us marshalls, anything that tnt reshows...i'm post-call so i can't think of any others off the top of my head.

part of the fun of back to the future 2 (and three was worse than 2) was the idea of the cyclical space time continuum. you could get lost in the logic, but if you were a nerd you would love to talk about it. lay of back to the future, that should not be on your list.

what about the the first star wars...jar jar? come on now.

Anonymous said...

Let's be clear about one thing. I enjoy (in some way) every movie on my list. I in no way enjoy Speed 2 or Showgirls. Caddyshack 2, I also do not like.

Temple of Doom is still a great movie despite Kate Capshaw's terrible performance. It can't make the list.

Anonymous said...

How can a movie be unintentionally bad and still be something that you like? There seems to be a contradiction in your words.
Just read this dialogue:

Dr. Emmett 'Doc' Brown: Jennifer could conceivably encounter her future-self. The consequences of that could be disastrous.

Marty McFly: Doc, what do you mean?

Dr. Emmett 'Doc' Brown: I foresee two possibilities. One: coming face-to-face with herself 30 years older would put her into shock, and she'd simply pass out. Or, two: the encounter could create a time paradox, the result of which could cause a chain reaction that would unravel the very fabric of the space-time continuum and destroy the entire universe! Granted that's a worst case scenario. The destruction might in fact be very localized, limited to merely our own galaxy.

Marty McFly: Well, that's a relief.

Now that's some good writing.

Anonymous said...

Movies can be bad for all sorts of reasons, Bobby.

Take your film --a film you never wanted to make-- the fact that you were forced to make a movie, basically against your will, makes me believe that you know why it was on my list.

Sequels, generally, should only be made if a) the characters are set to embark on an entirely new set of adventures with allusions to the original movie used only sparingly, or b) if the film was always intended to run as a series. See: Star Wars, Godfathers 1 and 2.

In the case of BTTF it appears and has been documented that the sequels were tacked on, and have some effect of the way we view the first movie's plot, so I will have to say that although I enjoy the trilogy, I cannot classify BTTF2 as a great movie. Thus, it is on my list of my all-time favorite unintentionally bad movies.

Once again, Speed 2 is a terrible movie.

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure that was really robert zemeckis.

Anonymous said...

Of course it was. Didn't you notice all of the awesome special effects in that post? It was produced by Steven Spielberg.