Friday, July 07, 2006

Making Time for Some Pirates

I haven’t seen any movies this summer. No time. There never is enough time. I don’t have time to study, I don’t have time to wash my hair, I’ll never get into Stanford…

Anyhoo, Saved by the Bell drama aside, there have been several movies I have wanted to see and I’m slightly disappointed I haven’t seen at least one of them.

I did buy Grandma’s Boy on a whim. It is a funny movie DJ, but that doesn’t count as seeing a new movie.

This Friday, July 7, the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie hit the theatres. This is my must see movie of the summer. I remember thinking when I saw the previews for the first Pirates movie (a skeleton leg crashing down on the ocean floor) this has to be a joke. However, when I learned Johnny Depp was starring in it along with Orlando Bloom and Geoffrey Rush I thought this movie might be good. It was great.

Now Pirates of the Caribbean has become a trilogy. It is that rare combination of intelligent humor with suspenseful action, similar to the Indiana Jones movies that make ‘Pirates’ such a joy to watch. (The parallels between the adventures of Jack Sparrow and Indiana Jones are very apparent, but I’ll save that dissertation for another day.)

I wanted to see The Breakup. I wanted to see Nacho Libre. I hope I find time to see the Strangers with Candy movie, because as A.O. Scott of the New York Times explained, true fans will try to rationalize that it is funnier than it actually is. I’m going to be one of those people. I love Amy Sedaris. I want to see My Super Ex-girlfriend and the other Wilson brother’s movies Cars and You, Me and Dupree. Of course Talladega Nights starring Will Farrell as NASCAR driver Ricky Bobby will be hilarious in that prolonged SNL skit sort of way.

Those are the movies I want or wanted to see. But the one I’ll make sure I see right away is Pirates of Caribbean: Dead Man’s Chest. I’m like Jessica Spano: I’m so excited, I’m so excited, I’m so…so…scared. The middle piece of a trilogy can often be the weakest link of the series, but I have a feeling Dead Man’s Chest will be more like The Empire Strikes Back or Back to the Future II rather than Temple of Doom.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I friggin love Temple of Doom.

Anonymous said...

Did you see the movie last night? If not, let me know when you are going, and maybe I can come down to the dot to see it with you. I feel like I haven't hung out with my big brother in a long time now that you are too busy being a doctor or whatever.

JC said...

You forgot about Keira Knightly. When she was in the first Pirates movie she was by far the most gorgeous woman every to live. Ever.

JC said...

You forgot about Keira Knightly. When she was in the first Pirates movie she was by far the most gorgeous woman every to live. Ever.

JC said...

You forgot about Keira Knightly. When she was in the first Pirates movie she was by far the most gorgeous woman every to live. Ever.

Anonymous said...

i'm not sure, but i may have forgotten keira knightly. actually, i just didn't feel like looking up how to spell her name. she is very attractive, but she makes these weird faces that bother me. and she's a woman, and women in general suck.

i friggen love temple of doom too, but it is the weakest link of that trilogy. am i sure? pretty sure.

sattle down emily! you hung out with me on the 26th of june. fajitarita and then lou and harry's. you'll see me next weekend and then there is the ruckus 06. eat some peanut m and m's, aka chill pills. look i'm sorry i spend my saturdays on 30 hour call shifts saving people's lives, but i plan on hanging out with my lil sis soon enough.