Sunday, July 16, 2006

1993 Revisited, Minus the Flannel



The awkward swaying of a hundred white folks can’t be wrong.

Sure the flannels and Doc Martin boots have been replaced with American Eagle tee-shirts, shorts and sandals.

The females changed their wardrobe too. Now they are clad in Old Navy tank tops, jean mini-skirts and thong or high-heeled sandals.

And after hearing “Hey Jealousy” for over an hour I realized, the Gin Blossoms haven’t changed, I have.

I never was a huge Gin Blossoms fan, but I never changed the station when I heard “Hey Jealousy” either. The problem is I don’t remember the last time I listened to the radio.

The Gin Blossoms look like they are having fun on stage, are certainly crowd friendly and very interactive with the fans. Robin Wilson, who is the lead singer and originally from Grand Rapids, Mi, sang into the cell phones for several adoring females. They’ll never delete that voice mail for as long as they have that phone. How cute.

I respect the Gin Blossoms. They have been going strong for 19 years and have written some very radio friendly songs. But feel good nostalgia can only last for so long before it turns into depressing memories. I love the “Hey Jealousy” video and I loved to tee-pee houses, but I’m getting ready to turn 26 years old and don’t really care to rehash eighth grade. Other people at the Intersection had no problem reliving the early 90’s and they had a blast doing so.

Was it worth the admission? If you were a fan, yes. If not, probably not. Oh well, I spent the money and drank some beer. What else should I do on a Saturday night?

No comments: