Sunday, July 09, 2006

My Own Trilogy

In honor of seeing Dead Man’s Chest I figured I do a blog trilogy.

Part One – The Apology
Morgan, you’re right. I am a motherf**ker. You certainly should have been included in the ‘Lonely’ post I wrote earlier this week.

I have known you since we were Christiancy Cobras. We have traded baseball cards together and shared a hotel room on tour in Toronto. You lived with Jacob for a year and you played poker with Dave, DJ and Kohler on Wednesday nights.

You are certainly included in that list of people who have stayed close for a long time. The problem with those lists is I always forget something important.

My sincerest apologies, sorry Morgan.

Part Two – The Movie
Sure the stunts and sword fights are over the top. I’m sure the finale will have a happy Disney ending as well. But there is no need to bash the new Pirates of the Caribbean, as some critics have.

For all the hammy special effects, the writing of Dead Man’s Chest is full of pleasant and partially expected twists. Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio do an excellent job of weaving humor, suspense, “the dark side of ambition” and vengeful love into the middle of the ‘Pirates’ trilogy.

Johnny Depp is outstanding, as expected, and Keira Knightley shows a seductive pirate side to her already feisty character, Elizabeth Swann.

There are new bad guys, new obstacles and the movie ends in a manner that will force you to see the final installment, which is due out next summer. Go see this movie.

Part Three – Post Call
My call shift yesterday was shaping up to be the most boring call shift ever. After literally reading four hours about HIV/AIDS treatments and researching the medication regimens of the HIV/AIDS patients in the hospital, it was time for a break: dinner.

The Wayne State medical students and I took our sweet time with dinner because there were no new admits and nothing new going on on the floor.

When we returned to our boredom, we decided to start IV’s on each other. That was fun. We were trying to kill time until 10.00 so we could go to the call room and watch the Tigers.

Well at 9.55 the senior resident came up and informed us we were going to get three new admits. Next thing I know it’s 3.30 in the morning and we were just finishing aspirating a knee on a women with septic arthritis. (Kids, don’t do IV drugs, like heroin.)

At 2.30 am or sometime around then I received the best and funniest voice mail I have ever heard. I listened to it before I went to bed and woke up laughing. Thanks Jacob.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also recieved an awesome voice mail from Jacob. It had everyone at the camp site saying "Romulus Has!"

Thank Jacob.

Anonymous said...

Apology accepted.

Anonymous said...

thank you.

Anonymous said...

don't mention it. That's what I do when I am left to my creepy self for too long. I thought I'd share it.